Hastings Entertainment - Ok job, depending on management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"Ok job, depending on management."

Former Employee - Barista in Pittsburg, KS
Former Employee - Barista in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively simple job, fair amount of computer training to prep for company values. 25% off employee discount, used to offer 1 free paperback book per week.

Cons

Management seems more concerned with sales and value of customer than appreciating employees, both through low wages (and little room to improve those wages) and policies. Job can go from being very boring to overwhelming very quickly, and there is little internal support among employees. Training is also so focused on "values" that little time is left for practical application, particularly on their outdated computer system!

Advice to Management

Be a little more caring about your employees--if they feel appreciated, that will improve customer relations.

Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment

1. "Terrible Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount on some items, coworkers can be nice,

Cons

store is mostly run on part time employees, so of course no benefits, low hours
    hours are based on how much junk you can sell, not how hard you work.

2. "Only the strong survive here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Batesville, AR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Batesville, AR

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Employees are generally easy-going and pleasant
    -Working can be fun at times
    -Great Store Manager
    - Flexible schedule, great for school
    - We get great discounts on some stuff
    - One can move up in Hastings, if they are willing to become a store manager. Otherwise, you have to wait until a department manager quits. I don't know about other stores, but our dept. managers have been there for 5+ years.
    -Store are located in several different states so relocation is an option, but you are not guaranteed the position or rank from the original store.
    - The work is not hard, but it is time consuming. You have to manage stocking, shifting, assignments, and customers, which is tiring.

Cons

-Low store labor hours
    - Under staffed
    - New employees are horrible, which almost makes hiring not worth it.
    -Some of the employees are lazy, which makes the storage of hours worse.
    - Most customers are terrible. This may just be the area's location, though.
    - Known thieves are allowed in the store
    -Upper management micro-manages, can be demeaning, and does not always make good decisions.
    - The store is over stocked with crap that doesn't sell (nasty energy drinks, squirrel underwear, etc.). We still have stuff that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year, and we get sent more.
    - The salary does not compensate for the effort I put into my work and the customers. The only reason I still work here is because of my coworkers.
    -The amount of hours you get can be erratic. Since starting, I have gotten between 3 and 35 hours a week. It depends on the time of year and if there are new hires.

Advice to Management

Promote people who work in the stores, and know how things work. Promote and give raises to employees. The good employees leave because the cons outweigh the pros, and they are not compensated for it.