Hastings Entertainment - Corporate employee | Glassdoor

"Corporate employee"

Current Employee - Programmer in Amarillo, TX
Current Employee - Programmer in Amarillo, TX

Pros

Hastings is a great place to work in IT. You will get to know pretty much all aspects of the Hastings business within your first year. You will never get bored by staying on the same team all of the time.

Cons

Upper management undervalues the importance of IT and seems to place the most emphasis on the product teams. Thinks that IT is overpriced.

Advice to Management

IT is not to be taken lightly. The entertainment market is going to start shifting away from brick and mortor and over to delivered content over the internet. Good IT will carry you to the future.

Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment

1. "Hmmm."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX

Pros

Good employees, but i may have been blessed.
    Honestly, I had a great team that took care of everything for me. I was your average SM though. I'd do my paperwork on mondays. That is, unless I didn't. Sometimes I'd go for a stroll.

There were times when the details weren't ironed out just right. An e-mail missed here, an e-mail there. There were problems that would go on for months at a time. These problems did little for my mood. At first, I'd just stew a bit. Then it would occur to me that I had nothing to do with the problem. Guilty of neglect? Poppycock. I was, after all, putting in 2000...sometimes...3000 hour shifts. Being that the details were... not my fault. They did what they could, but sacrifices had to be made. I feel I was the driving force. The hammer. They were the nails. My nails.

And I would hammer. Corporate visits, be they LP or a simple DM affair, would rarely go my way. But I am the force. Look at these numbers I would say. Why are they doing this to me. They are slacking. My team. This...this while I do my 3000 hour shifts. Fatal error? Nonsense. The fatal error was theirs.

LBWA works if you do it correctly. If you have the respect of your department managers everything will fall into place. That is, if the department managers are naturally hard working people with the intellect and perserverence to handle this oftentimes very difficult company. As I mentioned earlier, I was blessed with a wonderful team. If you do not garner the respect from such a group then you can only blame yourself. Lead by walking around, but do lead. And do walk around. And be present. 44 hours.

Cons

I covered some of them above. Corporate comes across as an uncaring beast.

I think this is true of most corporations however.

Wage freeze is also unfortunate.

Advice to Management

See first paragraph please :)

Do your job. If you don't do your job, do not cry about the consequences.

"Has its moments"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odessa, TX

Pros

Store managers are good at working around your availability. Discount is better than most places. When store management is good, the work environment is good. Great place to meet good people. Advancement can be easy if you work hard. Get to work with things everyone loves (books, movies, music, video games, etc). Job is relatively easy and stress free in well run stores.

Cons

Project heavy organization that refuses to give the stores the hours they need to complete them. Corporate fails to replace bad store managers in a timely manner. Corporate has a habit of leading by fear, rather than by example. Consistency is an unknown word to this company. Pay for management is half of what other retail companies of similar size pay.

Advice to Management

Spend the labor to ensure stores stay in shape, especially if you choose to change your image every year. If you want quality managers, be willing to pay them for it. Learn to keep the good managers you have, instead of running them off from lack of support and instability at the corporate office. When corporate officers do "back to the field" jobs, they should actually work the job, instead of trying it for 5 minutes and then disappearing or just following someone around. And do it for more than just a week. Get back to caring as much about your associates as you do your customers.