Hastings Entertainment - Sound And Fury, signifying Nothing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"Sound And Fury, signifying Nothing"

Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX
Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX

Pros

-Generally Hardworking, decent coworkers
-Decent Insurance/401k
-Interesting Product line
-Good Coffee in HBCs
-fair and flexible with scheduling (kinda have to be, stores get no hours)

Cons

-Poor staffing due to incredibly tight Labor Cost formula
-Divisive desires;Expectations of 'excellent customer service' AND '100% on-time completion of all Tasks' with minimal staff
- Most upper Management (i.e., Above DMs) Condescending and rude, unresponsive even hostile to questions or suggestions, seem to be, despite regular store visits, out of touch with the realities store level. Worse, they seem not to care.

Advice to Management

Read the commentary in these postings, they will show you the way...
Do more than pay lip service to employee satisfaction. Happy workers, who know their Ideas and Ideals, their work and well-being are truly respected and valued makes for a better company
--the pay freeze has gone on too long, while Execs continue to get their bonuses

Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment

"I Would Never Reccomend It"

Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate in Abilene, TX

Pros

-Decent discounts
    -Free paperback book a week
    -Truly great co-workers
    -Great atmopshere
    -Regulars are usually fun to talk to
    -MOSTLY understandable customers

Cons

-Management is clueless
    -Communication is absolutely terrible
    -Little to no training before they send you out alone
    -Only time when they call you is when they want you to work, and the management always got mad when I was unavaliable
    -Customers come first to them, if there's an unfair situation you're pretty much gone
    -You're written up often and rarely ever know why
    -Pitiful hours (mostly 12 hours a week)
    -Everyone in the cafe often worked alone, even during our busiest hours
    -I've walked into work often and didn't know of a reschedule
    -All of this happened with other workers too

Advice to Management

Give a little respect towards your employees. I (and 14 other employees) were fired due to loss in profits, when we rarely know what's going on. Treat us fairly and it will reflect in the store.

2. "Less than positive."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT

Pros

Excellent discount's,employees I work with are excellent...including our manager and associate managers...I am given time off when needed and have a very flexible schedule when I need it.

Cons

My "problem" is not w/the folks I work with or my manager...it"s with the upper level corporate management in Texas! They have a "Dark Ages"management style...the workers are never given raises while the CEO Marmaduke receives huge annual bonus's (this year was 40% higher than last year) and yet there is a wage freeze in place! His VP's and other high level managers are well taken care of while the workers get crumb's...the system is not in anyway concerned w/the employee's...after almost 5 years I have yet to see a raise or COLA! When spring/summer shows up hours are slashed and hard working associates are cut back on hours and benefits as well...I work w/folks who have over 7 years of time w/the company as dept. managers who get 9.50 or less per hour and get their hours cut...Hasting Ent. has little regard for the day in day out associates!

Advice to Management

Value your employees and let go of some of your greedy way of thinking...you loose excellent employees every day due to your backward way of running this company!