Healogics - Are you part of the "in crowd" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Healogics

"Are you part of the "in crowd""

Former Employee - Clinic Nurse Manager
Former Employee - Clinic Nurse Manager

I worked at Healogics full-time

Pros

training opportunities, competitive pay, great patient care. Great company - luck of the draw if you get a good program director. He/she can make your life miserable, requiring long hours and paperwork that you never have time for. Sometimes will make you do things your question whether or not it's even ethical.

Cons

must be part of the "in crowd" to move up, lots of the upper management have no idea of the clinical side and therefore can't offer support, many of the upper level management have some (negative) history with their employees and offer NO support yet can do no wrong. Can't understand how some of the management keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

take a look at you regional directors and program directors. Wonder sometimes how some of them are even employed. Don't worry so much about their pedigree. A masters degree does not mean you are knowledgeable about a clinic that you don't even visit.

Other Employee Reviews for Healogics

"Solid company going through growing pains"

Former Employee - Program Director in Torrington, CT
    Former Employee - Program Director in Torrington, CT

I worked at Healogics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They own a very specific industry niche,
    They are a morphing company in terms of growth, with an eye on total niche domination
    Solid business model, with the scrutiny of VC ownership

Cons

Managing a history of merger based growth has left a wake of difficult transitions regarding employees.
    They need to do a better job in finding the right formula for managing hospital partnerships
    They need a business model that secures the viable, actionable presence of facility management that is weighted in favor of Healogics and not in the favor of the partner hospitals.
    They need to find a way to incorporate lateral integration of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy across the broadest spectrum of conditions. Right now is the tipping point for this technology and therapy and those positioned best to serve the population will win this market.

Advice to Management

see pros and cons

2. "Great place to learn the industry, but has gotten too slow-moving and bureaucratic (and don't expect career growth!)"

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Healogics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being the largest player (and one of the first) in this quickly-evolving industry/sub-specialty, you'll learn about almost every aspect of the business (clinical trends, financial management, healthcare operations, reimbursement, medical device, etc.). The financials of the company are quite stable, and they never had any type broad layoffs (other than if your center loses its contract, and even then, they'll likely try and place you somewhere else if it wasn't your fault).

Cons

When I started at the company several years back, it allowed for a relatively large amount of independence for high performers, and their business model was relatively aligned with that of the hospital partners. Unfortunately, the larger they get, the more bureaucracy and top-down management is involved, which pulls down high performers to average. Also, the clients' business models have evolved yet Healogics has hardly reacted, leading to discontent at many sites, with the field team caught in the middle of conflicting interests. A leading firm with so many resources, in such a growing medical specialty should be doing more to innovate than Healogics has done lately.

The biggest con in my opinion is that despite tremendous growth, multiple mergers/acquisitions, and strong financial performance, there really has been little to no opportunity for advancement. The structure of the company essentially has remained the same over the past 5-10 years (despite mergers and name changes), and at every major development, they say "look everyone, we're growing so fast and there are going to be unlimited opportunities for everyone!" After a few years of hearing that with hardly anyone moving up beyond mid-level field-based management, you can get tired of drinking the Kool-Aid. I am appreciative for everything I learned in nearly 6 years with the company, but I wish they had not made so many empty promises for so long. I also should take some responsibility, after 2-3 years I could have taken what I'd learned and moved on to another company. The following 2-3 years did little to enhance my professional background, and I even found myself becoming more and more bureaucratic as the organization did. And despite the growing bureaucracy, there is still near-constant stress to hit ever-growing monthly numbers and manage operational and business development issues, though the resources available do not grow. In short: most ambitious people should plan on starting to look for their next move after 2-3 years in order to not stagnate.

Advice to Management

You guys have done so well for the investors and have a lot to be proud of. But you lose a lot of credibility with the employees by promising promotion opportunities for years and hardly anyone gets promoted--both at the field and corporate level. The morale has gone way down. It would be better to be honest with people and ask them to give 100% for 2-3 years and then encourage them to seek opportunities outside the company. You could even request that they give a 2-3 month notice that they're looking (and promise not to have repercussions), then people might be inclined to help transition out and train their replacements in an orderly fashion. The damage from turnover, which is incredibly high throughout the company, might be mitigated in that way. Obviously, you have a duty to your investors, but as more and more companies enter this space, you really should invest more to provide differentiated and better services and value employees more with career advancement opportunities (or just be honest to them about the lack of opportunity so they can expect to contribute for a few years and move on in an amicable manner).