Health Management Associates - Hard work without decent pay. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates

"Hard work without decent pay."

Former Employee - Patient Access Associate
Former Employee - Patient Access Associate

Pros

I was taught several different jobs in my year at HMA. Upon my arrival at HMA I was taught PBX (switchboard) operations, admissions (collection of patient demographics), and insurance verification of many types.

Cons

The downsides to working at this specific HMA facility are: not knowing what shift you will be working or when, never having a definate schedule, and not being feeling as though your hard work is apprecaited. In my opinion the department that I worked in could have been better managed by someone who had previous knowledge of the admissions aspect of health care.

Advice to Management

Your employees in the admissions department work very hard and should be paid accordingly. Essentailly your hospital could not run effectivley without them. I feel that your hospitals would run smoother if your department heads had knowledge of the work their employees are doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Health Management Associates

"HMA we make sure Executives get what they want no matter how wrong they maybe."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

Pros

In my particular case proximity to my home is the primary reason why I stay there. The pay is decent as well. If it weren't 10 minutes from my house I'd definitely be looking for something else. The people that work in this area for this company are typically very cordial, the management is not. I'm really trying on this one, but it's really a tough question.

Cons

Medical Insurance is far below average and they actually require that you have most or all of your medical care in an HMA facility, severely limiting your choices and options regarding healthcare. On top of this most everything is either a $250 deductible or $500. The 401k is held with a historically poor performing albeit low fee management company. In 5 years I've lost 11%. They match a paltry 3%. If you want average or better systems to help you with your job, look elsewhere. HMA uses the latest from 1985 to run their entire enterprise. You'll love working in accounting and calling I.S. to run the simplest of reports where you needed all of 1 page of information yet 300 pages print at your printer (if it's working) an hour later. The pay is average, but don't worry you'll be sending it back in your $105 bi-weekly copay for insurance. It pays to ask management questions, you'll reap great rewards in laughter as their answers clearly shows they're far less competent than most of their employees. There's really just too much to list here.

Advice to Management

Scrap just about everything you do. IS at the corporate level is a major culprit here. Throw them all out and start over, might be the best answer at this point. They have become the seasoned politicians looking to make their jobs easier while at the same time making sure they keep it. Little regard is held in what systems may affect users or what capability those systems may have in use. If the system is price comparable, is easy for corporate I.S. to manage, and interfaces with existing ancient mainframes you can bet HMA will be using it. It won't matter if it's lacking the features of most of it's competitors or if it's barely scalable. Corporate I.S. has turned into a department looking out only for themselves damning the very employees and the company they work for. Executives have devised a plan which they think is very effective, I call it Officer Chairs. If an officer of a hospital isn't performing to standard at one facility they move him to a Hospital which is performing well and move the officer at that hospital to a poor performing one. What exactly does this accomplish? From what I can tell the company has to fit a $25,000 bill every time they want to move someone. Little changes in the grand scheme of things because the officer is still doing whatever corporate executives desire him/her to do. Never do they look at the possibility that it was indeed someone at corporate whom said officer was reporting to that was actually making the mistakes bringing down the Hospital. One might wonder with all these issues regarding corporate level decisions if anyone has ever been held accountable for their mistakes. Well you can stop wondering, executives are untouchable at HMA. A recipe for disaster if I've ever heard one.

Last but not least, HMA needs to really look at where it's competition is if they want to stay competitive. Twenty years ago you could run a hospital the way HMA does, but things have changed drastically. Burke if you want this company to succeed it's time to get rid of just about every executive that has been there over 2 years. New blood and new ideas are about the only thing that's going to rock the boat enough to get it off the shore.

2. "Great company held back by dated processes and systems"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Health Management Associates as a contractor

Pros

Great associates at the hospitals delivering the best healthcare possible.
    Many people really care about the company and the product it delivers so most are willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Some less than great managers at the corporate office.
    Some dated systems and processes that hold back progress.
    Reports of diminishing credibility with the MIS team.

Advice to Management

Ensure management follow the company's mission and cultural programs and treat their associates with value and respect.