Health Management Associates - Company puts money before employee satisfaction and patient care | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates

"Company puts money before employee satisfaction and patient care"

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large stable company with many facilities all over the US

Cons

No loyalty to long term employees. It is difficult to get approval to hire necessary employees or purchase equipment needed for patient care. They make promises to physicians to get them hired, but then do not provide the resources to support them. They continue to cut staff and expect others to absorb the work.

Advice to Management

Provide the resources to hospitals and clinics to adequately take care of patients. At least visit the hospitals for which you are denying funding for necessary staff and equipment. Provide adequate staff to keep up with all of the controls or policies so everyone isn't set up to fail.

Other Employee Reviews for Health Management Associates

"Do not work here if you can help it"

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Will take new grads
    70 hospitals nationwide and opportunities to transfer

Cons

Unloyal to employees
    Poor patient care/reputation
    Dangerously low staffing levels
    High turnover
    Do not incentivize education opportunities

Advice to Management

Invest in the associates and the future. No quarter to quarter numbers and promotions for upper management. Practice what you preach

"Salaried employees"

Current Employee - HH RN
    Current Employee - HH RN

Pros

Working with this small community hospital means working with a very professional and caring group of people from nursing, to therapy to ancillary staff. HMA recognizes and supports all levels of staff through multiple recognition programs throughout the year.

Cons

Unfortunately, HMA does not demonstrate recognition of the uncompensated hours the salaried staff must work in order to meet the expectations of the job. Salaried for 40+ (undefined) hours does not even begin to cover the 50-60+ hours it takes to complete a week of home health care. And, the majority of the staff provide exemplery care as evidenced by a large referral base,JACHO compliance and positive patient satisfaction scores. 1-2% raises (with no raises for 2009), no COLA, and the loss of our matching retirement funds has left many of us with a diminishing income that started long before the economy began it's decline.

Advice to Management

As intelligent professionals we all recognize the need to tighten our belts, however we also recognize that our compensation in inequitable and needs to be adjusted.