HealthSouth - Understaffed | Glassdoor

"Understaffed"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at HealthSouth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patients, CNO, CEO, Location, Parking

Cons

Co-workers, Managers, Pay, Appreciation (lack of)

Other Employee Reviews for HealthSouth

"YOU DONT WANT TO WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at HealthSouth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is rewarding to see patients recover their independence and to know you helped.

Cons

Where to start......a very corrupt corporation starting right at the top. High turnover rate due to ridiculous workloads, intimidation tactics, lack of compensation or advancement potential unless you are willing to turn a blind eye to unsafe conditions for patients and licensed staff. They want automatons and not educated people, because the leadership there lacks the appropriate education and thus will do anything to protect their cushy jobs. The patients are herded in like cattle regardless of whether they are appropriate for rehab, just to get their $$$. They are lied to by liaisons and admissions and told they can have a private room, can smoke on site, etc then get angry at the nursing staff who tells them they cannot. People who are 95 and deathly ill with cancer are dragged to "therapy" because they MUST meet intensity for healthsouth to get their money. The nursing staff is unsupported by mgmt in all things. They are held to task for any pt complaint no matter how short staffed we are or how unreasonable the complaint. Sent to CPR Class which is abt how to act professionally....senior management need to take this class on a weekly basis! Everyone is always under disciplinary action for something, and believe me they will find something- that way they can threaten your job security and control you. Advancement potential? Forget it. They get rid of older ppl and hire newbies they can pay less.
    Equipment is old, broken and in short supply- always told "we have it on order" well I can tell you our IV pumps are 20 yrs old and they have been "on order" all the years I have worked here. Half the time we don't have thermometers! This is a Fortune 500 company that makes millions. Give us what we need to do our jobs. Of course we have money to install surveillance cameras everywhere to keep an eye on the staff.
    The place is disgusting. The politics are terrible. Upper management are all snakes they lie to your face and stab you in the back. I am so sorry I ever came to work here. I am looking for another job but no one wants to talk to me when they find out I work at Healthsouth.

Advice to Management

Shame on you all.

"HealthSouth"

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Dothan, AL

I worked at HealthSouth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are easy to get along with.

Cons

Administration (CEO, etc.) is very controlling, micro-manages, cliquish, and does not like change. Administration does not really appreciate the people who work hard, only those who are a "yes" employee.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your staff, you do not have to micro-manage everything. Stop meeting with your "groupies" for their advice on everything.