HealthStream - Intern | Glassdoor
  1. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream for less than a year

Pros

Takes care of employees. Amazing people and managers. Great learning experience!

Cons

No cons as such. All good stuff about the company.

HealthStream2019-08-16
  1. "Amazing people, leadership & the CEO"

Current Intern - Intern in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HealthStream for less than a year

Pros

With this personal story, I am hoping that I get you excited to work for Healthstream! I work as an intern at Healthstream since Sept 2018, and I joined because I needed to be able to pay for my 2nd Masters degree from Vanderbilt. However, I already had ~10 years of managerial work experience with many acheivements and an MBA from top institute in my country. Therefore it needed a lot of humility to go to the lowest level in the Hierarchy and being an intern. However, this decision turned out to be an outstanding experience. I got to work on two awesome consulting level projects as an individual contributor, as well as three team based projects. Out of my two consulting, one turned into a product for Healthstream that has a new team and ready to be relaunched in the market. Another consulting project got a lot of senior folks excited and I got to have great discussions with majority of product managers in the organization. I also enjoyed other smaller team based projects and found everyone awesome to work with! THE BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS: 1. Leadership is awesome! I had numerous discussions with various members of leadership team and their humbleness is unparallel. 2. Our CEO is living example of our values that seems to percolate down in the entire organization. I want to share one of my most powerful moment at Healthstream- I requested for a 10 min appointment with our CEO Robert Frist for a school project (on entrepreneurship). Not only that I got a response with an appointment request for 30 min, but also the generosity with which he listened to me, shared his insights and chose to help me was unthinkable! He offered me to schedule another time if I needed more. His humility is unparallel! 3. People, in general, are eager to help and share their insights! I was never treated like an ‘intern’, and was always a part of the team. I think the culture of respect at Healthstream kept me working for this long. Thank you Healthstreamers! You rock!! As my skill-sets are not directly applicable to a full-time role at Healthstream, I am looking for a full time role. However, I am sure I might struggle to find such awesome culture and work-values that I experienced in this organization.

Cons

Nothing really. Though, I wish I worked here as a contractor or a consultant on those projects, as opposed to an intern, to get the benefits of my hard work.

Continue reading
    HealthStream2019-07-02

"Out of touch leadership, turnover very high, bad new office design"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at HealthStream full-time for less than a year

Pros

-office is "pretty" albeit a good place to work. -casual dress code: can wear jeans and a t-shirt and nobody cares -covered parking

Cons

- I wish the management would listen to their employees. They really pretend to listen, but that's about it. The town halls, surveys, etc. are just motions they go through, but really don't take any of the commentary to heart and never implement anything. For example-- almost a year ago, the company moved into a new office. The CEO built out the new space completely, and did so with no input from the employees. It is a complete open-environment office and I have seen so many people leave because they can't get their work done in such an environment. The CEO cares more about the office being pretty (and being like Google, cus he's obsessed with being like Google), then about its functionality. -Pay people fairly. It's a shame to see people leaving the company for other companies in the same bldg (had several employees back in Cummins station go work for another healthcare company on the 3rd floor). They left simply because of money! Same job, same bldg, but more money! HSTM does not pay competitively and does not offer good benefits. It's sad when the CEO announces that the 401k is a gift and we should not expect it. He clearly was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and doesn't realize that people actually depend on the money they make at work, etc. PAY YOUR PEOPLE FAIRLY... at least pay those who are worthwhile fairly, if they haven't already left! -Some people seem to take on 4-5 jobs ontop of what's on their job description. That's all fine and good, but there are no bonuses to reward this behavior (and one gets fed up eventually), and then there are others who don't do their jobs at all, but yet, they are still around and are given credit for who even knows what. -COO should be replaced. He is unfriendly and really does not understand the vision of the company. Walked by me a few times in the hall and didn't even look up from his cell phone to say goodmorning. He makes poor decisions that ruins morale. Should be utilizing HR in a more strategic way to guide the company, instead of allowing a bloated department to run amok rife with drama, toxicity, and mismanagement.

Continue reading
    HealthStream2019-12-16

Discover more reviews about HealthStream.