HealthTap - Inspiring vision, fabulous people, great leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for HealthTap

"Inspiring vision, fabulous people, great leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time

Pros

1. Feeling great about what you do
2. Thinking about your users are real people with real needs you can help (not thinking about users as just people you want to make do stuff or make money from)
3. Solving technical problems while helping people
4. Fun office environment and some of the nicest and smartest people you’ll ever work with
5. The people and great leadership (especially the CEO - a real pioneer in digital health)
6. Great mentorship (learning a lot from experienced people)

Cons

1. Size of the team (need more people to grow even faster)
2. Office is not located in SF

Advice to Management

Open a satellite office in San Francisco

Other Employee Reviews for HealthTap

"A product that will change the world!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at HealthTap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being inspired by our leadership and our mission, and also by what we’ve already built. HealthTap is a truly great product. I know this because I’m not just part of the team that builds it, but because I use it and it’s used by all of my close friends and family (and not because I told them to). If you haven’t tried it out you should. It’s incredible, and it’s just the start. Already we’ve built something that doctors love to use and that’s an invaluable resource for people as well. I have family overseas and they use it and they cannot believe they can connect with a US doctor and get answers for free. The same is true for my friends and family here in the U.S. As we continue to scale and improve what we’ve built, in my opinion widespread adoption of HealthTap by both consumers and doctors is inevitable. It’s only a matter of time.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your standards and always improve the process of bringing in only the best people to join the team and improving the product.

"Culture of fear in a company for great good"

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at HealthTap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HealthTap has one of the most compelling reasons to work at a company: it saves lives. Literally, users get access to doctors for free from anywhere thanks to this service. It's truly an amazing product.

The people who work at HealthTap are smart and kind. They're always willing to answer questions and lend a helping hand on projects that aren't even their own. All of the employees are quite close, and there are many friendships that come out of HealthTap.

Cons

HealthTap is a health company; not a healthy company. Employee attrition is nearing 100% annually meaning they lose almost as many people as they bring on. This seems to be a feature--not a bug--because of the 12 month cliff for stock options. (Employee's percentages in the company are also not disclosed because the leadership does not trust its employees with knowing the number of total outstanding shares.)

A general lack of consideration for employees time. Vacation time is limited. Sundays are mandatory (employees are allowed 6 Sundays off per year).

Two hour long meetings weekly where the CEO pitches the company to the team. Every time it's the same thing. The meetings are finished by choosing a value from the vision & credo and discussing it. None of values are followed, but employees are too hesitant to speak truthfully.

Not allowed to speak up. If an employee speaks up during a meeting they are hushed by the CEO. This is usually followed by lots of shouting from behind closed doors. Speaking up to the CEO is difficult to do, as he usually becomes very defensive and reacts negatively. There is a lot of negative energy because of him.

Unrealistic deadlines that force employees to stay up late into the night. There is no tolerance for being late, and leaving early after a hard week is noted and held against you later.

The leadership is manipulative. It is very clear they don't see their employees as people. There have also been instances with employee's visas not being filed on time. This was not an accident.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. The company has a "vision and credo" full of values, but they aren't even used as guiding principles. They are not a reflection of what's actually going on in the office. They seem like a marketing tactic.

Take care of your own. Your value isn't just your users, it's your employees too.

HealthTap Response

Apr 27, 2014 – HealthTap Talent & Happiness

Thanks for your interest in HealthTap, helping millions live healthier, happier, longer lives. We want you to have an accurate picture of what it's like to work here, and one that’s based on data ... More