Heartland Payment Systems - Typical commission only scam company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Typical commission only scam company"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn all the ins and outs of the card payment industry

Cons

You bust your butt, you spend your own money on gas, and after you put some accounts on the books they fire you because you didn't make a month's goal. And all those monthly commission amounts you made now go to the company's bottom line. And to add insult to injury they make you sign a non compete agreement. Don't bother with HPS. They'll use you and then abuse you.

Advice to Management

Go back to being privately held so you aren't being blackmailed every quarter by the investors.

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Lesson in how to screw your sales people"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Nassau, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Nassau, NY

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good technology
    -Good service center
    -Great payroll service and support
    -Great HLM service and support
    -Excellent multi product mix to sell

Cons

-100% commission and lowest compensation in the industry- By far.
    -Every time you turn around, your compensation plan is getting eaten into by some new fee heaped on the Salesperson.
    -Association endorsement of the National Restaurant Association is a joke that the salespeople pay dearly for. NRA gets paid out of OUR commissions, whether they had a hand on your sale or not. In my time with HPS since the NRA endorsement, the NRA has not done one single thing to help me gain business. In fact, they actually work AGAINST us in some markets, like New York state, while they take our money! Unbelievable.
    -Petty and vindictive- almost childishly so- senior sales management. (No doubt Heartland is trolling these posts to try and pinpoint who they are so they can exact revenge)
    -Constant pay errors and no full accounting of residuals each month. You 'take it on faith' that your payments are correct.
    -Senior managers lack experience and cannot 'walk the walk' they are demanding of their charges.
    -Very high employee turn over in the sales force.
    -The top producing salespeople bolted for the door at around the same time. Those that replaced them as top people are now starting to see the light and bolt too. Huge red flag?
    -Senior sales management outright lies to the sales force regularly. Then gets vindictive if you don't drink the kool-aid. It's as if the company expects you to say 'Thank You' for the screwing they are giving you.
    -'Merchant Bill Of Rights'... Once a source of great pride, is now long gone because Heartland was the biggest violator of it.
    -Highest costs in the industry with loads and loads of fat layers in management that prevent the company from paying the sales force a decent commission. It's no wonder the company can't get people hired.

Advice to Management

Heartland Senior Managers, I know it's hard to believe, but some of your sales people may actually know something- Shocking. After all, THEY are the ones who have made this company a success. Not your bullying management style. You can only sugar coat for so long before sales people, potential new hires and company investors realize that it's actually quite sour underneath. Everything that was once so great about this company is now long gone.

The constant daily threats to your job and the unreal amount of ultra micro management is borderline harassment. Sales people are hired to bring business and when they don't, then there are consequences. Everyone understands that. But the brow beating and the barrage of questions about every moment of your daily activity is really way over the top for a company that is paying you nothing as a 100% commissioned sales person. Unlike anything I've seen... I have worked for and excelled greatly at successful companies prior to coming here, and with this company. Not some disgruntled employee here with an axe to grind, but I am one of those successful people heading to the door for $$ greener pastures. No thanks Heartland.

"My Foray into the Payments Business"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good brand recognition, reasonable initial commission payouts, in-place sales methodologies for prospecting, presenting and closing.

Cons

Industry is too crowded and this company has so much overhead it cannot be more price-competitive. Management expects salespeople to have no other business interests, which I find challenging when compensation is 100% commission-based

Advice to Management

Lighten up on overhead and ivory towers, get real on pricing for marketing services