Heartland Payment Systems - Run for your life! Don't work here! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Run for your life! Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

The Technology network has lots of definitions.

Cons

They make you think they are on top of the technology. Their products & services are dated! Their products most of the time do not/cannot interface with the majority of the businesses internal computer software products they have purchased specifically for their system, ie. POS systems or banks. They leave you in the cold and tell the Relationship Manager sales person; it's your problem. Therefore, 98% of the businesses (minus nail salons and small mom & pop restaurants) you go into are "not" a "qualified" customers. The numbers game here is in the hundreds. The process is very lengthy from every direction and you might not get paid! It takes a long time to push through, must fanigle most transactions to get it pushed to install!, wheeling and dealing of machines on the side from a service stand point, and to running around to get a prepaid card to make the first transaction ($25 gift card, sales person pays). And they have a very large quota. Good Luck!!

Advice to Management

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Beware"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

Pros

Could work from home and could contact business anywhere

Cons

Management and upper management only care about sales made, not customers or employees . Many hidden costs to customers . I had a manager steal from me and upper management hid this under the table

"Residuals for Life is (unfortunately) a Lie"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People with little experience and/or training have the opportunity to make six-figure income.
    But if you have the education or experience to work in a real job with salary or at least a base, do that.

Cons

I worked for Heartland for seven years under the "new" compensation plan. This review is written to address the issue of residuals.

When I was recruited I was told by management up and down the chain-of-command that we had two options:
    1. You can sell your residuals back to Heartland for 30 months (2 1/2 years) worth of residuals in a lump sum.
    2. You can keep your merchants happy and receive lifetime residuals on your accounts - and that this option was a wonderful tool for college planning, retirement, etc. I once sat with Bob Carr at a managers' lunch when he commented that this second option was far more profitable for the employee.

These options were also held up as an excuse for Heartland's lower-than-industry residuals.

When I became a manager, I was trained to recruit by presenting the residuals as life-long as well. "As long as a merchant stays with Heartland, you receive residuals - whether or not you were working with Heartland." That is the beauty of the retirement idea.

I went into semi-retirement in late 2013. I ran the numbers and made my decision based on the decent-but-not-stellar residuals for which I had worked long and hard. Just over a year later Heartland sold all of these residual back to me without my permission or signature - which means that in two years I lose my retirement safety net.

Let me be clear. I did not leave Heartland for another processing or payroll company. I semi-retired into the education sector. I have been honorable and impeccably honest with Heartland. I wish I could say the same for the company that claims to follow its "Salesperson's Bill of Rights."

I'm not naive and have some experience in the world of financial planning. I can say definitively that had I known Heartland would break its word, I would have made different choices during and and at the twilight of my employment.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth:
    1. Be careful what you promise.
    2. Deliver what you promise.
    3. Deliver what you promise - ESPECIALLY when it's inconvenient for you. That's when it counts.