Heartland Payment Systems - Much better off after 2 years post Heartland! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Much better off after 2 years post Heartland!"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in North Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Relationship Manager in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned about merchant services, good online training programs, good online information resources.

Cons

In a nutshell, they stole my residuals. I was let go because I didn't meet their draconian sales goals and no consideration was given for the area I live and work. It's a small town farming community in Northern CA and big business just does not exist here. I was told when I started with Heartland that it takes two years to build a good client base and I was willing to put the time and effort into that. But after finally signing some of our largest restaurants in town and a large RV sales 2 location business, I was told that my numbers were just not good enough and I was gone. No residuals at all. Don't let that happen to you. If you want to learn the business, work for them for a short time then look for a good company that pays good commission rates and lets you have control over the equipment you buy and sell to your merchants Heartland doesn't even allow you to purchase your own equipment and sell at a little profit. Also, look at their compensation...trust me you're better off taking little or nothing up front and getting 50 or 60 percent residual commission. Then make sure that you never lose those residuals no matter what. My current company even pays residuals to my heir (my daughter) in case of my death.

Advice to Management

Real simple, stop thinking of all the ways to make Heartland executives rich and think more about how to retain good sales people.

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"If you can't be self motivated to succeed, don't try it."

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for uncapped income
    Monthly residuals become yours after you are vested.
    Company has a lot of opportunity, I am already getting a chance to move up.
    Service Center is state of the art
    if you cant make your own leads, you fail, if you are motivated to make money, YOU CAN MAKE IT!

Cons

Sometimes have to cut margin to compete.

Advice to Management

keep coming out with new ideas and equipment to make us more competitive. Also, if you have people who aren't cutting it, time to let them move on.

"No leads and inconsistent management"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their customer service center and infrastructure is very good. Can sign deals on an ipad.

Cons

Management of regions and territories is inconsistent and leadership is fragmented. If you are lucky to get a Territory Manager, District manager and Regional Manager that are all good there is a shot at making money. There were no leads or benefit to reps from association endorsements at the time. Though they hired a (failed in the field) manager to try to improve leads once research showed quality sales rep candidates want at least some quality leads to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to purge poor territory managers. Invest in marketing and quality leads. Realize that some top reps are taking shortcuts signing deals in Atlas and that may come back to bite legally.