Heartland Payment Systems - Painful at Best. Not a great experience for a true sales professional anymore. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Painful at Best. Not a great experience for a true sales professional anymore."

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemingly a solid name and ego in the industry so I had applied to them.
I got hired instantly and I had no industry experience, which could also be a con, I guess because it didn't seem very challenging to get the position.LOL
I believed it would be very professional so I applied. this was later a con.
They have a lot of products
They have a cool computer called Atlas that is neat but it is really more of a cumbersome tool for them to compile a lot of crazy information and require you to fill out mandated information about random merchants out there.
I have since learned to later potentially sell to a potential buyer *rumored of course. More power to you , right? ;)

Cons

Micromanagement at its worst in a fully commissioned sales role.
No real structured training that feels corporate or any real mentors to look up to who haven't been terminated or quit for greener pastures.
It appears that the company is extremely driven by family politics with promotion with very little experience and a great deal of their original talent has come and gone in this field which is concerning to me as a sales professional that is newer to this industry.
Heartland has an extraordinary amount of employee turnover and overbearing managers who manage from fear.

Advice to Management

Stop begging people to work here right away on the first interview and stop promoting family members because I have discovered now after a few months after connecting the dots that my time here is very short lived and there is very little respect in this company for many of the managers here. THere is a lot of animosity for managers that are promoted with little to no talent and are not honest when they teach their reps selling tips and they are promoted based on their relatives. THis appears to be a very dishonest industry but it is more exposed when you are working in conditions that warrant this style of activity.

it is too bad because I had higher hopes when my friend suggested that I try this out after reading about it. I am sure this won't be read, but if it helps anyone, maybe it's for the greater good. best of luck if it gets through to someone.

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Plan on exhausting your savings and getting a credit card"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say set my own schedule, but I really would by lying because everyday there is a requirement to tell your manager (so they can tell their manager) what your goals are and who you are going to see that day/ who you plan to sell that day. It's no secret that the sales people just pay lip service to this requirement to get their managers off of their back.

Cons

You're fired from a STRAIGHT COMMISSION job if you don't meet requirements! Who fires free labor? It's all a Wall Street numbers game. "Head count" is a term that you should get used to, you want to work here. You are expendable-at your own expense. On YOUR dime, not theirs.

Advice to Management

Um....pay your employees? That would be good. Also, stick with one policy for more than six months. It's too difficult to figure out your paycheck when corporate policies change to reflect less in your commission structure as a salesperson and more for the companies bottom line. Rip up the salespersons bill of rights. And, please stop calling your front line "Relationship Managers". It seems that this company has more greedy managers and levels of management that any other I have ever seen.

"Much better off after 2 years post Heartland!"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned about merchant services, good online training programs, good online information resources.

Cons

In a nutshell, they stole my residuals. I was let go because I didn't meet their draconian sales goals and no consideration was given for the area I live and work. It's a small town farming community in Northern CA and big business just does not exist here. I was told when I started with Heartland that it takes two years to build a good client base and I was willing to put the time and effort into that. But after finally signing some of our largest restaurants in town and a large RV sales 2 location business, I was told that my numbers were just not good enough and I was gone. No residuals at all. Don't let that happen to you. If you want to learn the business, work for them for a short time then look for a good company that pays good commission rates and lets you have control over the equipment you buy and sell to your merchants Heartland doesn't even allow you to purchase your own equipment and sell at a little profit. Also, look at their compensation...trust me you're better off taking little or nothing up front and getting 50 or 60 percent residual commission. Then make sure that you never lose those residuals no matter what. My current company even pays residuals to my heir (my daughter) in case of my death.

Advice to Management

Real simple, stop thinking of all the ways to make Heartland executives rich and think more about how to retain good sales people.