Heartland Payment Systems - Painful at Best. Not a great experience for a true sales professional anymore. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Painful at Best. Not a great experience for a true sales professional anymore."

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemingly a solid name and ego in the industry so I had applied to them.
I got hired instantly and I had no industry experience, which could also be a con, I guess because it didn't seem very challenging to get the position.LOL
I believed it would be very professional so I applied. this was later a con.
They have a lot of products
They have a cool computer called Atlas that is neat but it is really more of a cumbersome tool for them to compile a lot of crazy information and require you to fill out mandated information about random merchants out there.
I have since learned to later potentially sell to a potential buyer *rumored of course. More power to you , right? ;)

Cons

Micromanagement at its worst in a fully commissioned sales role.
No real structured training that feels corporate or any real mentors to look up to who haven't been terminated or quit for greener pastures.
It appears that the company is extremely driven by family politics with promotion with very little experience and a great deal of their original talent has come and gone in this field which is concerning to me as a sales professional that is newer to this industry.
Heartland has an extraordinary amount of employee turnover and overbearing managers who manage from fear.

Advice to Management

Stop begging people to work here right away on the first interview and stop promoting family members because I have discovered now after a few months after connecting the dots that my time here is very short lived and there is very little respect in this company for many of the managers here. THere is a lot of animosity for managers that are promoted with little to no talent and are not honest when they teach their reps selling tips and they are promoted based on their relatives. THis appears to be a very dishonest industry but it is more exposed when you are working in conditions that warrant this style of activity.

it is too bad because I had higher hopes when my friend suggested that I try this out after reading about it. I am sure this won't be read, but if it helps anyone, maybe it's for the greater good. best of luck if it gets through to someone.

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Don't believe the portfolio buy out they promise. They will find some reason not to pay up!"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

paperwork on work reports overwhelming

Advice to Management

Be more up front about compensation

"Sweatshop for sales reps..Motto is hire everyone and see who sticks"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with are nice and customer service people in the office seem like they really want to help.

Cons

The management expects you to put out for every expense, they have newer reps drum up business and when they leave they give the older reps all the leads. "tryout period is a joke" what company says "set 10 appointments and then we will give you a job but don't expect to get paid for the week if you don't. Quit your current job and maybe you will have a position here". No set territory so when you go to approach a merchant 3 more reps from your company may have already been in the same week and have already given them different pricing. Managers try to strong arm you if you don't hit your goals even if you have hit them consistently in previous months. Any sales job that you can get fired if you miss your quota once in a quarter even if you are at 200% the previous month is not what anyone can call a great job.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you invested in your sales people instead of making them feel like they are disposable commodities you would have more dedicated employee base.