Heartland Payment Systems - This is a tough industry...make sure you're a super strong go getter... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"This is a tough industry...make sure you're a super strong go getter..."

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is built on honesty, trust and integrity. Although each rep is different and you can't really know if they are always honest out in the field, Bob Carr is an incredible man who has created an opportunity to earn a great living!
Heartland is the only company of its kind that doesn't lie and cheat to get the merchants business. There's a lot of competition, but if you can get an appt most of the time you're in. For the most part, my management is great and we all get along well.
I love the concept of the company and Bob doesn't hold back his feelings of the importance of integrity. I love the company...

Cons

Continuing on about the management, as nice as they are, there is not much out in the field support once you're "trained." If you're having a difficult time, they talk to you on the phone to try to encourage you, but in the 3 1/2 yrs of working for Heartland I haven't been offered a day in the field to up my spirits and just have a day of fun meeting people together. If I ask, it's usually a "no" due to the fact that they are busy too.
If your account cancels within their first year, your screwed! You may as well forget your pay checks, and your residuals.
It's a tough industry and unless you're able to work on your own 100% of the time you most likely won't make it. But for the super go getters you will have a fantastic career!

Advice to Management

My advise is constructive criticism. I would suggest you spend more time in the field with your reps if you see that they are struggling. Even the best go through slumps and need support, even if it's just getting together to re-group...a lunch, a walk, just something.

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Heartland Payment Systems"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Heartland for over 8 years. My career has been wonderful and challenging. Have created wealth for my family and my future. Have the opportunity to continue to do the same. The sales position is structured for individuals who have a STRONG work ethic, integrity and persistence. An attitude of doing whatever is necessary (ethically + professionally) and never quit.

Heartland training is on-going.....if you have the focus and desire to learn. It will not be spoon fed. The training modules and all support are available to those who are interested. It is up to the individual.

Whining and excuses are not acceptable if you are determined to earn a big income, help businesses and run your own business. It all comes back to personal accountability.

Cons

Micro management is prevelant at Heartland. I agree that the managers should get into the field more often. "Get their hands dirty" as one of the reveiwers wrote.

My advice for a serious sales professional: Put your head down, take a moment to definitely commit yourself, NEVER look back, failure is not an option. Take total responsibility for your actions, communications and results. I put this comment in CONS because there are too many folks that truly cannot handle this responsibility.

Advice to Management

Management--truthful answers: 1. Can you still SELL in today's environment with someone (your manager) breathing down your neck every minute of the day? 2. Are you hiring children that you have to babysit or professional adults that deserve your respect?

"Save Up Before Taking This Job!"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentive trips. Nice range of products. Great online resource for training, information. Fantastic CRM tool. Good service center in Jville. Comp plan is great in theory.

Cons

Once you're out of your initial training, you're pretty much on your own. If you struggle all you hear are other ridiculously extreme cases of people getting their WIN. The comp plan is great until you start losing accounts in the cut throat credit card processing world. Then your signing bonus is taken back. Mgmt encourages two coffee dates a week and participating in BNIs, chambers but all expenses are paid from your pocket.

Advice to Management

Let RMs know when accounts stop processing so they have an opportunity to win those accounts back.
    Stop pressuring managers to hire when they have other reps who are struggling and need their help.
    Make better pay for Beta products or hire reps who only concentrate on new market integration.
    The culture taught is great but its not practiced by most management.