Heartland Payment Systems - Abnoxious | Glassdoor

"Abnoxious"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The systems and strengths of the company are legit. The product is better and the stories of 400K salaries are true..

Cons

That being said it is clear that <5% of the reps are making that money. There is such a disparity between and RM and a DM. This company has literally ruined my resume. They recruit for your "portfolio" and do not use effective training strategies. Their focus is on "Sales process and procedure.. plus some objection handling"... That's great guys. For those of us who have proficient skills in these areas you did nothing to teach us about your bizarre internal protocols.

The bigger kicker is all the new nonsense you learn in the field about: hardware, software, middleware... Total nonsense. They teach you nothing about your competition and how to actual "install" the client. You will literally spend hours (if not days) getting a client to say "yes"... only to find out they need new hardware (terminal).. Pretty sure when you tell a client at the goal line they need to cough up another $300 for a terminal they feel rope a doped..

This job is perfect for a used car salesman!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. You want to be ethical? Why do only %38 of employees on Glassdoor recommend this job? You may have an attractive compensation plan in place for the select few who "hit the lottery" with a client or good referral source.

You have old dogs in your organization who make all the money and have left wreckage in their wake. You will never get strong new people (more than 30%) to stick around if you're going to keep being stubborn in your ways.

A successful sales person needs legitimate "tools" to succeed. Why don't you at a 'bare minimum' pay for cell phones... BNI groups... Chambers... I don't know, maybe that's too logical or something.

You do not truly invest in your people the way you think you do. You will survive and be the lesser of the evils forever. Who wants to be the "best" company amongst a bunch of scumbags?

Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

"Good company"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, treated employees fairly. In the 5 years I worked there I have to say that there were always opportunities.

Cons

While a good company to work for, the only constant was change. Every year things changed products and services came and went.

2. "Great Innovations But....."

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reason I started was the innovation of new products and services to offer beyond the restaurant industry. Specifically to local Medical/ Dental offices.

Cons

Supervising Management not embracing the technology for Medical sales. Frustrations mounted when management tiering started to change. After the first year selling to my personal network of clients; new industries for heartland in this market. Management had changed, people were bailing out. I decided to do the same.

Advice to Management

Don't assume what you are being told is happening. Too many financial rewards for managers to push people out before they hit the big goal!!