Helix Energy Solutions - A very poorly managed company that treats its employees as bad as it is managed. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Helix Energy Solutions

"A very poorly managed company that treats its employees as bad as it is managed."

Current Employee - Project Procurement Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Project Procurement Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Helix Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, generous vacation/sick time/company holidays

Cons

During my time I had the two worst supervisors I have ever had during my professional career. Being lied to, having credit taken for your work, being used as a scapegoat are all common place at Helix in the supply chain department. During 2.5 years, there has been a full 45-50% turnover rate in a group that had as many as 25 people at one time and 2 manager and 1 director left/were fired. There is no use of the chain of command, no focus on employee development at all, no leadership training as the leaders are terrible role models (and need training for themselves before they could logically train an employee)and there are no employee evaluations to speak of.

A couple other notable cons:
- Favoritism for under-performers is the norm in supply chain, the strong are pushed aside as they are threats to the managers.
- Promotions are rarely, if ever given and raises are never given less the measly 2-3% cost of living adjustment people receive.
- HR is not on the side of the employees, its actually quite the opposite. Going to HR with an issue is a risk and most employees that I know suffered for bringing problems to light.

If you want to use Helix as a place to learn but not stay, it can serve that purpose, don't plan on making a home here.

Advice to Management

Subjectively the answer that come to mind are grow a backbone but that is not helpful though it is accurate. Objectively, the managers are not professionals, not ready to lead their employees by example and incapable of empowering them to make decisions that are related to their scope of work. Helix supply chain had a strong leader in the past, his position was filled by someone quite the opposite and there is no sign it will change in the near future.

Other Employee Reviews for Helix Energy Solutions

"Added experience to my resume at a cost."

Former Employee - Sharepoint Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sharepoint Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Helix Energy Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the folks are great people with which to work.

Cons

The pay scale is grossly below market value; little to no room for advancement. Very disorganized IT department.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly at the actual market value. Do some research on what other companies in the same industry in the Houston market are paying, and you will see that the Helix pay scales, at least as far as IT goes, are grossly under value. To lose a good employee to another company because of unfair pay is a completely fixable problem.

"Well..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Helix Energy Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes good - sometimes bad - ok

Cons

As every where... stand for yourself