HelloWorld - Amazing culture, amazing people, amazing growth | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Amazing culture, amazing people, amazing growth"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Southfield, MI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Southfield, MI

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HelloWorld was an amazing place to work. It was my first proper engineering job, and it was an incredible experience.

A developer's first program in any language typically prints HelloWorld, and I honestly can't think of a better place to have started my engineering career proper, than here.

Onboarding was smooth, within a month I felt like I had known everyone on the team for a bit. The work was fun, and challenging, and the open floor plan made everyone appear very approachable. The best part is people were actually very approachable, and I still maintain contact with quite a few of them.

I especially liked the communication between my manager and our team as it helped set expectations for software delivery. Sure we had some crunch deadlines, but it was nothing we didn't discuss as a team and agree too.

This open and transparent communication made it easy to ramp up and contribute quickly. When I think back on it, I gained responsibility with time, but it never once felt undue or burdensome; it all happened rather naturally.

By far the biggest pro, the people and culture. Honestly. Everyone was just really cool. Being a marketing company, I happened to like to go by the creative team quite a bit as it's really nice to see the stuff they make. As a plus, they happen to really like talking about their work and it makes for a great listen IMO.

There's also a pretty nice game room to unwind in if you need a breather, and jigsaw puzzles if you want them.

Cons

None for me, but it did feel like developers lived in a different world than producers at times with regards to pressure and needing to deliver. I'd chalk it up to my manager being able to set and communicate reasonable expectations and delivery dates however.

Advice to Management

Don't change the culture, by far the biggest thing I miss. Just great, great people.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"A great experience so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at HelloWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HelloWorld has a friendly culture, nice offices, and flexible work environment. The work is, for the most part, interesting.

I feel like they make a real effort to motivate through positivity.

I also like the size of the company - it's small enough so that you can always find the right person to talk to on an issue, but big enough that the scale of work is complex, enjoyable, and challenging.

Cons

Recent acquisition by Merkle may lead to uncertainty, especially in administrative areas.

Advice to Management

I really like the way this company works. I can't really think of any specific advice.

2. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, very loyal and happy. good flexible hours and good PTO/holidays. the company is solid and the business is plenty. lots of good work.

Cons

management is a mess in some areas. there is little communication between some of the team leaders. promotions felt random and were most of the time empty promises. raises were almost non-existent except for select people and not even cost of living increases were done this past year. multiple promises and delays of a bonus that never happened. also people work too hard and burn out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Engineers, promote those that deserve the promotion and give them the opportunity to prove themselves. going over 5 years without a promotion is detrimental to an employees state of mind and just doesn't show respect for them, specially after multiple empty promises of said promotion.

all that being said, I loved this company, and would come back if there was an opportunity to do so.

Discover more reviews about HelloWorld.