Hendrickson - Engineer | Glassdoor

"Engineer"

I have been working at Hendrickson full-time

Pros

The pay is OK. The medical benefits and wellness program are too.

Cons

Career advancement is difficult at best. Training is non-existent. There is an utter lack of leadership, and direction. I can see little rhyme or reason to titles and job responsibilities for each title. Job descriptions, where they exist, bear little or no resemblance to actual duties.

In my 20+ year career I have never worked with a company more resistant to change. Business processes are inefficient in the extreme, with very little value added. The only change that seems to be allowed actually make the processes more cumbersome and ineffective.

Employees are discouraged from thinking outside the box, and in many instances discouraged from thinking at all.

Advice to Management

Having the lion's share of the market doesn't necessarily mean you're doing things right. Take a serious look at your business processes, focus on the value added steps and work to eliminate the massive amounts of non-value added work that is done in the offices. Technology can help you.

Communication is a two-way street, give employees an opportunity to give feedback to their superiors and listen to what they have to say with an open mind. Roundtables are a good start, but only if people feel that what they say can make a difference and that they won't be punished for honesty. Employees need to understand the big picture. Letting them see only their piece of the puzzle doesn't allow them to grow and improve.

Other Employee Reviews for Hendrickson

"Great company with spotty leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Hendrickson full-time

Pros

Solid financially; great products and solid engineering capability. Many good people at Hendrickson and solid benefits.

Cons

Most people are stressed out and overworked. A few people (very few) in key leadership positions aren't leaders. That is a recipe for failure.

Advice to Management

Develop your people - and only place leaders in leadership roles.

"Didn't learn as much as I wanted given that I was overseeing only one specific project during my employment period."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Hendrickson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company takes work/life balance seriously.

Cons

Lack of clear communication between upper management and staff regarding specifics of job duties.

Advice to Management

Need to improve on getting employees more involved in high-visibility projects.