Hensel Phelps - Great Experience | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - Field Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Field Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Learned a lot, and was given plenty of reponsibilty to strech myself and grow. Good compensation

Cons

At times I was looking for a little more structured feedback.

Advice to Management

It was great

Other Employee Reviews for Hensel Phelps

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Field Engneer/Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engneer/Intern in San Jose, CA

Pros

Lot of training, good work relationships. More of a family atmosphere and relaxed. I've heard not all projects are like that.

Cons

Relocation is a downside to every big company.

Advice to Management

The leadership I had was really good, I didn't take the position offered to me after college because I was able to start at a higher salary with another firm. Give higher starting salary college grads are poor and need cash right away. Usually we aren't thinking about the long haul. Now I realize I should have.

"Reconsider"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

Pros

The compensation is fair, the health benefits are very good, and the retirement package is great.

HP is extremely focused on women and minorities in the work place and you will find that they tend to climb the ladder extremely fast.

HP is focused on training and all though that has not been my experience other employees have had access to training.

New employees can expect to be promoted within two years assuming you start at the bottom.

Cons

I've moved 4 times in the past two years. I average 70 hours a week. So as you can imagine dating for young engineers is nearly impossible and if your married don't expect your spouse to be able to contribute financially. HP does not consider spouse's jobs when moving you, lastly HP has an extremely high rate of divorce which makes sense when you consider all the moving stress and long hours.

There is no Human Resources department and management is very proud of that fact, they are of the opinion that HR is a waist of money.

Advice to Management

Start caring for your employees. Many of the younger staff intends to leave the company when the economy turns around, you might want to find out why.