Hershey Entertainment & Resorts - Great People, Fun Atmosphere - but... Missing a Key Ingredient | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hershey Entertainment & Resorts

"Great People, Fun Atmosphere - but... Missing a Key Ingredient"

Former Employee - Creative Services in Hershey, PA
Former Employee - Creative Services in Hershey, PA

Pros

Some of the people there were Very wonderful, great sense of humor, talented, top-notch.
While not all of them were experts (often promoted beyond ability/competency) they were quick to ask questions and seek advice from those around them. This wasn't something fostered by upper management - this was handled as part of the general atmosphere.
Corporate benifits were top-notch! I had some 'fun' at the local hospital where I recieved a high level of care - only to recieve nominal bills post proceedure.
The cafeteria was also a great addition - although not a selling point for a new-hire... It helped keep the company small in that people from all departments had a chance to communicate.

Cons

HERCO as a company is middle management heavy. Some of these middle managers are what I would call 'coasters.' Riding along in a position they've made for themselves looking not to make waves or take risks. New ideas from within the groups were well thought out - planned out - but often watered down by management. The work ethic of some of the middle management would be another element I would call into question... Often working short days while not providing feedback on elements awaiting their approval. I also experienced some unprofessional/unethical conduct in my short time there - where I witnessed a director make unprofessional and personally hurtfull comments to one of the people under her. That being said... the CMO was a gem of a person - and made up for the missgivings of those under her... but not enough for me to stay on.

Advice to Management

It's called the sweetest place on earth... and if it were all about the people I would Highly agree. But, watch out for the high level of mid-level-managers, and a few of the directors as they may be quick to turn on you to reach the next rung in the ladder. My advice... Innovate with the way the departments are managed, put more of the Great people on the ground in charge of things... less directors + less management = greater final products!

Other Employee Reviews for Hershey Entertainment & Resorts

1. "Nice place to work, but not a traditional country club structure"

Former Employee - Golf Professional in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Golf Professional in Hershey, PA

Pros

Good benefits, good hours from a golf professional perspective. Decent wages and some very nice perks. Membership is great, low stress fun work environment.

Cons

Dealing with the summer tourist traffic just to make it work is difficult at times. The employee meals are sad to say the least. Not your typical golf environment and structure from the inside, no real advancement opportunities for golf professionals trying to work their way up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Less back stabbing talk, do your job and go home. Allow those under you to show what talents they posess.

2. "Sweet place to work depending on where at in the company you are"

Former Employee - Worked At the Hotel Hershey in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Worked At the Hotel Hershey in Hershey, PA

Pros

GREAT discounts! Such as getting into the park for free, discounts at pretty much anything HERCO related (hotel spa, hotel rooms, dining, entertainment). I even received free concert tickets for showing my ID once. You also get to meet some great people that work and stay there. Hard work is usually recognized once management begins to notice you after a little while.

Cons

In the summer it gets really hectic, especially with little kids running around everywhere. And after the summer, they don't always guarantee you the hours you might want or shifts you can't work (why I stopped working there... they repeatedly scheduled me when they knew I had classes and then told me I had to find someone to work for me and it was my problem)

Advice to Management

I don't know?