Hertz - Best company in a bad industry. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Best company in a bad industry."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for Hertz I was really given a lot of training which I truly believe will help me throughout the rest of my career. The benefits were good, the pay was alright, and the all of the people I worked with were very competent and friendly. There is room for promotion and assuming you meet your sales quota's and aren't completely stupid, they will recognize it and reward you accordingly.

Cons

This is a sales job though they try to mask it pretty well. If you do not meet your quota on additional sales revenue per day (SRPD) for 3 months consecutively you will be terminated. That would have been nice to know up front instead of 2 weeks after working for the company, but oh well.

Their is no work/life balance. You can expect to work 55+ hrs/week minimum needing to stay over at random. There were times my paychecks would have more overtime pay than regular pay. I would venture to say 75% of the Branch Manager's or Trainee's (and every title in-between) are very burnt out, and often seek other employment. This leads to an unbelievably accepted amount of turnover in employees every year, so don't expect to get too close to your co-worker you spend 12+hrs/day with.

As is the case with any rental car company, you run very low on cars. Fleet is expensive in this industry and obviously you want to pay for as little as possible for it. However you typically still accept all online reservations and business even though the cars aren't there which creates a lot of understandably upset customers.

Advice to Management

Hertz is a good company and I do not regret my time working there at all. If I had to give one recommendation it would have to be that you need more staffing. A better work/life balance would create much less turnover in the very talented staff you have.

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"Good experience but low pay and not much room for advancement"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience in sales and customer service
    good resume builder
    Good multi tasking skills

Cons

Where to begin...
    Low pay and no cost of living raises. I worked there for about 6 years and was only making 12 dollars per hour as an assistant manager! No raises or promotions in over 3.5 years...
    I was held back from my area manager when applying for manager positions. I helped train and promote people who became my manager!
    Long hours and have to wear nice dress clothes when washing cars
    no schedule. Did not know when i worked until 6pm the day before!
    I was one of the top sales people and still usually didnt make more than $400 in commission.

Advice to Management

Pay people better and seniority should mean something. Thats why such a high turnover.

"worst company i've worked for"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers might be as cool as mine were

Cons

You'll barely have the tools to work with. Training is awkward
    You're worked long hours and sometimes you need to stay off the clock while working
    customers will be dissatisfied as a result of elements you cant control like running out of cars.
    The pay is little and they frown at overtime
    You will probably have to head a location and still get paid entry level
    Your area manager will be out of reach when the heat is on
    Locations are understaffed; youre the driver, the car prep, the cust serv rep, everything

Advice to Management

get real and know your front end.