Hertz - Long hours and little pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Long hours and little pay"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

overtime available, drive new cars, can have fun with co-workers at times, work day goes by fast as you are always busy, working with customers can be fun

Cons

LOUSY pay, you will need to work 10+ hours of overtime to compensate for the low hourly wage, minimal vacation day accrual, management get suspicious if you ask for time off for legit reasons such as dentist (they think you are interviewing for other jobs, which you will want to be!), can be physically demanding cleaning cars, working at the Local Edition requires a lot of driving around the city, customer service so you are constantly dealing with angry/upset customers. This is a sales position. In some areas of the country, you will sign an agreement stating that should you not meet your sales goal for 4 consecutive months, you will be terminated. If you don't have thick skin, aren't a salesman, and don't want to work HARD to become a branch manager (long hours, mediocre pay), than save yourself and the company time and take your talent elsewhere.

Advice to Management

pay these "management trainees" a decent wage. 10 dollars an hour for a full-time, college-educated person is exploitation. You will occasionally get great talent who only took the job because the market is so tough currently --try to get those people to stay. The good-looking, well-spoken, nicely dressed and aggressive recent grads are the only people who will grow your business.

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"Not about employees"

Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Hertz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, nice place to meet different people.

Cons

Most important asset is cars and not people. Management makes false promises and does not look at all employees.

Advice to Management

To treat all employees the same, and realize that from the part time to the full time employees that everyone that works for them are important

"Best company in a bad industry."

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for Hertz I was really given a lot of training which I truly believe will help me throughout the rest of my career. The benefits were good, the pay was alright, and the all of the people I worked with were very competent and friendly. There is room for promotion and assuming you meet your sales quota's and aren't completely stupid, they will recognize it and reward you accordingly.

Cons

This is a sales job though they try to mask it pretty well. If you do not meet your quota on additional sales revenue per day (SRPD) for 3 months consecutively you will be terminated. That would have been nice to know up front instead of 2 weeks after working for the company, but oh well.

Their is no work/life balance. You can expect to work 55+ hrs/week minimum needing to stay over at random. There were times my paychecks would have more overtime pay than regular pay. I would venture to say 75% of the Branch Manager's or Trainee's (and every title in-between) are very burnt out, and often seek other employment. This leads to an unbelievably accepted amount of turnover in employees every year, so don't expect to get too close to your co-worker you spend 12+hrs/day with.

As is the case with any rental car company, you run very low on cars. Fleet is expensive in this industry and obviously you want to pay for as little as possible for it. However you typically still accept all online reservations and business even though the cars aren't there which creates a lot of understandably upset customers.

Advice to Management

Hertz is a good company and I do not regret my time working there at all. If I had to give one recommendation it would have to be that you need more staffing. A better work/life balance would create much less turnover in the very talented staff you have.