Hertz - Good for those with a "hustler" mentality | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Good for those with a "hustler" mentality"

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Metairie, LA
Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Metairie, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus system, great overtime pay, health benefits

Cons

manager trainee track does not move as fast as you're told, bonus system qualifications change, more sales than customer service

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"It hurts to work at Hertz!"

Current Employee - Hertz Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Hertz Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly.
    40% discount on car rentals.
    You get to drive a variety of cars.
    Well,............Thats about it.

Cons

1) The pay is less than slave wages.
    2) The hours are long, and include holidays, weekends, etc.
    3) Hertz thinks of ways to cheat employees out of hard earned bonses, things like changing the minimums, raising the bar, including area wide % minimums, etc.
    4) Customers are rude, Many know that with complaints come discounts, so they exagerate every little thing to get discounted car rentals. The Hertz system encourages complaints by rewarding whiners.
    5) The Hertz rental system goes down at least twice a week, so manual contracts have to be implemented which takes longer and irritates customers.
    6) Branch managers are lazy. In my area, 5 branch managers and one area mgr. decided to take a vacation during the Christmas holidays, the busiest season for car rentals. As a result, payroll was messed up, cars weren't availble to rent, no personel backups, and no leadership when we needed it most.
    7) This is a sales job, nothing more. Sure you rent a few cars, but what Hertz cares about most is your ability to sell coverages, upsales, babyseats, roadside services, etc. This leads to hustling the customer by many, adding on coverages they didn't ask for, over-quoting to meet sales minimums, etc.
    8) Washing cars in triple digit heat, or artic freezes while wearing business attire totally blows! I have ruined several pairs of dress slacks, shoes, shirts and ties washing cars.
    9) Hertz created customer monsters. I have to constantly upgrade customer car rentals because at our location we NEVER have economy cars. So when we finally get one and I put a customer in what they booked for, they moan and complain about getting it. How do you upsell someone into a car who has gotten it free for the last five rentals? Customers now expect upgrades everytime now, and if you don't privide it, they complain about you on customer surveys which affects your bonuses.
    10) There is a HUGE divide between the front line people and everyone else. Management places unrealistic goals and mandates on their employee's without consideration or guidance as to its implementation, or its effects.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the lazy branch managers who don't even bother to come in. I have literally seen my manager once in two weeks, for 15 mins. Yet, he gets ALL the accolades and bonuses for the branch running smoothly with strong NPS #'s. Additionally, When recruiters promise fast tracking people, make sure it happens. At one time I was pumped to move up, now I'm pumped to move out.

2. "My experiences has been exactly like I read on this site!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training. I am fortunate to be receiving it in the proper order.

Cons

Very ridged sales model that requires complete memorization of the verbiage. The rigidity of this , how schedules are created and the commission structure was not covered in the interview process.

Advice to Management

The customer is always right even if the employee has handled this exact situation repeatedly. Look at what is broken in the system...do not blame the customer.