Hertz - Experience has been like the reviews | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Experience has been like the reviews"

Current Employee - Management Trainee
Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Hertz full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck every week. Get to drive around different cars. You can get good coworkers to work with.

Cons

Really really long hours, you're there very early morning until evening and maybe later if you get really busy by the end of the night. You get lots of overtime if you like working that, but it’s real easy to burn out, definitely no work life balance since you can be working 6 days a week. Low pay for someone with a college degree. People who can hustle will do well, selling is what they want and you can get some bonus money from it. Have to deal with angry customers because the system allows reservations to be booked even if there are no cars available and can’t get any from another location. Doesn't seem like you get promoted as fast as they pitch to you in the beginning, only if you're a very very good seller will they want to promote you, not necessarily for other qualities. Haven’t really gotten a whole lot of good training for learning the system, they only send you to training for customer service and sales, everything else your manager is supposed to go over with you (I think?) but really I’ve just been trying to learn as I go. Job is definitely not worth it, I wouldn’t take this job unless you really needed the money and even then I would still keep searching for something else. Long unrewarding days and hours. It’s a pretty good rental company, just don’t work for it.

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

1. "It will teach you that job satisfaction is just as important as money"

Current Employee - Location Manager
    Current Employee - Location Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time

Pros

Free car if your in management with free gas.

Cons

The expectations are absolutely ridiculous. The margins are razor thin on off airport rates. They expect you to make up the difference through the sale of ancillary services. The problem with ancillary services is that they are extremely overpriced. They want you to sell a premium protection package that is over $40 per day on vehicles that rent for sometimes as low as $30 per day. "Sir, this premium protection package will only cost you an additional $280 per week on your $159 weekly rate! Just think about it, there is no deductible!"

They run their cars to higher and higher mileages with tan interiors. It is YOUR fault that the car looks like trash after 40,000 miles. There is no amount of cleaning that can be done at a local level that can make a beige interior look like new.

On top of that, they hire manager trainees at low wages and tell them it's really not that low because you're going to get tons of overtime. Well, you will but you're still working 50+ hours a week having to wear a suit & tie and then go out in the middle of the summer and clean cars.

Oh & don't even get me started with their customer service survey. First, there isn't any incentive for a customer to take it like most companies run them. Second, the way they score it is absolutely ridiculous. Did you rent a car one-way? The customer can rant & rave directly in the review about how wonderful the pickup location was but then how the return location dropped the ball. Well, it's technically your rental so you eat the review. Genius!

"IF YOU HAVE SELF RESPECT THEN STAY AWAY...DISGUSTED FROM DAY 1"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and Bonuses
    PTO
    Work/life Balance (eventually)

Cons

The least amount of support that I have ever received from management in a position. As a Branch Manager I was trained for 2 days (taught how to clean out cars) and put into a branch by myself. I had no idea how to run the computer systems, which I operated without for 3 months, I didn't even get signs put up on the building until 6 months after we opened while being expected to turn a profit. Didn't get a 2nd employee until 8 months on the job, worked 6 days a week by myself. Management support is a joke, you ask a question they dodge it or can't answer it themselves. Very frustrating coming from a position where I was respected and admired within the company. Constant ridicule from upper management because I was an "outside" hire. I was reminded of this every time we met. My immediate supervisor paid maybe 3 visits in the first year I was open. This position has disgusted me from day one.

Advice to Management

Create a training program!!! There is nothing worse than trying to teach yourself how to do a very complicated job without the resources and support, especially as an outside hire.