Hertz - Was once a nice place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Was once a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My team and the people. Some of the people I met are life-long friends. Working at Hertz was a great stepping stone for me in my career (until Frisorra took over).

Cons

When Frisorra took over as CEO the entire work experience changed. I worked at the data center in OKC for all most 10 years and the last year and a half drove me to find another job. I was in constant fear of "layoffs" and survived the first one. Luckily I was underpaid and did my job so I was safe. Its a same to see a place like the datacenter go from 600+ employees to 175-200.

Frisorra outsourced lots of iT to India. Thanks for sending 300-400 OKC jobs overseas. What a bonehead.

Advice to Management

To upper management at Park Ridge NJ: get your head checked.

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"Unless you love being told "no", stay away"

Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a person starting with Hertz (Manager Trainee) the good part of the job is the weekly paycheck. You can also make some money for overtime as well as your bonus if you make your sales numbers. Also, if the branch is profitable, you can get monthly and quarterly bonus. As others have said, being able to drive new(er) vehicles is nice. If you can survive long enough to get a location manager position or above, you then have vehicle privileges which means you get to take home a company vehicle every night.

Cons

The downside of this company. When you work at the local edition branch, you must always make your sales numbers for their optional products. To do this you must follow the Hertz script verbatim every time, for every rental. You end up sounding like a robot. Further, you are watched by upper management to make sure you don't go off script. Managers must watch the Manager Trainees on a portion of the rentals they do and write up and verbally go over the rental with the MT. And not just until the MT has a good grasp of what they are doing, it has to be done multiple times per week, it continues forever. When a customer tells you no, depending on how they said it, you have to come back with a canned response. When the next customer comes in, if they decline in the same way, you give the same canned comeback. And if you don't make your numbers long enough, you get your walking papers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your frontline managers! They know what is going on. Every year here in the Phoenix area we have very busy times, However, the branches are told "No cars available" from the airport. You constantly push an us (Airport) versus them (HLE) mentality. We all work for the same company, why do we have to fight and scramble for the vehicles that are needed? You know it will be busy, get enough vehicles to cover the rentals. With respect to sales, yes we can see it is important for the revenue. However, the constant drumbeat of sell, sell, sell, gets to be irritating. Lastly, you constantly change the bonus structure. And not just quarter to quarter, you frequently change it during the quarter and almost always in the company's favor.

2. "Sense of satisfaction and pride working for Hertz."

Current Employee - Director in Park Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Park Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth, learning and development; management is sincerely interested in employee feedback and acting on it; open door policy; opinions valued and acted upon; great initiatives over the past 5+ years to ensure best practices and best in class policies and procedures are implemented; personal and professional satisfaction.

Cons

As in any major global organization, employees need to have diligence and patience to succeed. It's a shared responsibility between us and management.

Advice to Management

Continue to respond positively to employee suggestions and feedback; it is recognized and appreciated.