Hertz - Brutal. | Glassdoor

"Brutal."

Former Employee - Location Manager I in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Location Manager I in Washington, DC

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Gas, Car Insurance & driving around a new car!

Cons

As a location manager, you are more of a salaried shift leader than an actual manager. You catch all the hell from the unhappy customers, run around supporting/working like a slave while the hourly employees are rewarded with uncapped bonuses and the same vacation benefits as you! There's nothing more depressing than finding out the people you are supposed to 'manage' make more than you while working half the amount of time!

With corporate limiting staffing to the bear minimum, location managers are forced to work 11-12 hour shifts (x5) in order to keep things afloat. During busy season location managers are forced to work along side all of their hourly employees for majority of their shifts (renting/cleaning cars/parking cars etc.) rather than actually managing. Often times managers are forced to come in on their off days to compete their managerial duties and paperwork since their is little time during their actual work week to do so.

**Also like to note that while managers step up in place of hour employees, they do not receive any bonus compensation for revenue they bring in, while the counter sales reps get anywhere between 2-10% of revenue they bring in (once they hit a low sales goal). But when your sales numbers aren't very high, you are harassed just like the counter sales reps***

Corporate uses the Free Car/Gas/Insurance Perk as justification for lousy salary and embarrassing quarterly bonuses. Its a great perk but considering all the stress & hell location managers have to deal with on a daily basis, after a while it wasn't worth it! (Around the 6 month mark I was ready to jump ship)

Advice to Management

Compensate management better- Area Managers & Location Managers! You keep expecting more and more out of your locations while shrinking our staff (especially after the Dollar Thrifty merger), shrinking our quarterly bonus and keeping salary the same...

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once at the branch manager level, having a company car with free gas and insurance is very nice. A challenging sales environment, where you can be rewarded nicely if you are good and in the proper location.

Cons

Pay isn't very good unless you get to the branch manager level, where the company car makes up for quite a bit. Management changes the bonus structure every year, making it more and more difficult to make bonus. Most locations (if not at an airport or a major downtown city location) it can be very difficult to make the monthly commission standards, long hours, especially during the summer months.

Advice to Management

Give raises. Cost of living goes up each year, but wages stay the same. Don't change the bonus structure every year, it only causes employees to get frustrated.

2. "Feels like a family"

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Hertz for less than a year and my experience with Hertz has been great. I have had tremendous support and encouragement from my managers and coworkers since my first day. Unlike my previous jobs, Hertz has always made me feel appreciated for my hard work and accomplishments. Hertz has endless opportunities for anyone, who has the motivation and drive to succeed in a career. I am looking forward to what the future holds with this company.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. Its a great company

Advice to Management

Continue to be encouraging and supportive of staff