Hertz - Ok to work at corporate | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Ok to work at corporate"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

company vehicle & all perks go with it

Cons

No promotion opportunities, just annual pay, dont make you senior, etc...
Lower end of pay scale because get a car

Advice to Management

More communication

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

"Definition of Dead End Job"

Current Employee - Manager Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Manager Associate in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Decent benefits, 401K, Paid vacation and most holidays off
    Get out of the office frequently
    Coworkers are friendly and team oriented

Cons

Work 50+ hours every week. Demanding customers and uncompromising managers. Cleaning cars in a shirt and tie.
      They preach about promotions from day one, but nobody ever tells you the reason there are so many promotion opportunities is because people can stay at this job 2-3 years max before they get fed up and quit or get axed for low sales numbers.
      The hours are way too demanding. You work everyday, 730 to 6 and then usually 3 more hours on Saturday also.
      The intelligence and communication of management leaves much to be deisred. Perfect example: Recently, as a way of cutting back on hours/wages, our area manager sent out an email asking employees to clock out for a full hour at lunchtime, even if we aren't allowed to leave the office for lunch, and that every employee needs to be sent home early one day a week. Not long after that, his superior, our general manager, organizes a conference call to explain our new pickup policy. We are now responsible for picking up customers who request the service, even on Saturdays when each office is manned by one person. His solution is to wait until we close at 12, lock up and get the customer, bring them back and do the rental. So not only is he asking us to sacrifiice even more of our time after already working 50+ hours, he is directly contradicting what his subordinate had just said.
      Staffing levels are ridiculous. At offices where two or three people used to work, now there is one. That one person is responsible for everything from answering the phones to picking customers up to cleaning the cars to making sales calls. We used to have drivers to help move cars between locations, but most of those have been laid off. Now when we ask for help in acquiring the cars we need for the reservations that we are forced to take, our manager's response is "Figure it out."
      Expect many angry customers with no assistance coming from management. To maximize revenue, our computer system allows reservations to be made even when we have no cars available. Customers don't understand this and become irate when they don't have the car that they reserved, and deservedly so. Also, since the economic downturn, we have been keeping cars much longer than in the past. As a result, the cars are experiencing increasing amounts of maintenance problems and becoming dirtier all the time. The shop vac, Windex and paper towels at each office are not going to remove stains and the smell of smoke from car interior, and thus we are left to hear and deal with numerous complaints.

Advice to Management

Every six months, go back and work in the branch offices to remember what it's like to be a low-level grunt. Maybe then you won't make impossible demands while simultaneously cutting employees way beyond a reasonable level.

"Only Positive- I have a job"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

will surely get on the job training on dealing with very angry, unreasonable, want 3 for the price of 1, type of customers. You get used to being yelled at for customer's mistakes, or understanding and why you are the one that is screwing them.

You will learn to build a thick shell.

Cons

You will start to hate all people. 7am. - 6pm. (10.50 Hr.). Managers will always tell you to call someone else on immediate customer issues( customer in front of you), then that person tells you to call someone else and so on. 2% Commission if you make a certain #, which no one can let you see how the # is calculated. You will always be told that your job is on the line.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees. Threatening someones job only, does not motivate. Acknowledge employees when they do a good job.