Hertz - Hertz is a good place to advance your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

"Hertz is a good place to advance your career"

Current Employee - Director in Park Ridge, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

If you work hard and achieve success, you will get noticed and have opportunities to get ahead. The old seniority system based on following rules and orders has finally broken down. Talent and potential matter. The winners will work longer than 8:15 to 4:30, but the long term rewards are there. The company is on the right track. There are opportunities for good lateral and international moves as well.

Cons

Be prepared to be surrounded by some longer term employees who don't like the changes, don't like the higher performance work culture and don't have a strong work ethic. However, there is still decent work/life balance if you recognize that a work week is somewhat longer than 37.5 hours.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in new talent, encourage those who won't change to retire or move on, keep creating challenges to give employees an opportunity to advance rapidly.

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

1. "Hertz as a World Class Company - So Far So Good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park Ridge, NJ

Pros

- Place where leadership is open to connect with every employee
    - Place where everyone is ready to help one another, voice their opinions; good or bad
    - Place where leadership is working hard to listen closely every employee, customer, and partners
    - Place where everyone is pushed to their limit to be innovative
    - Place where your hard work matters
    - Place where I truly enjoy leadership role and work as solo at the same time

Cons

I like it here! It's been great so far... I am used working for companies where CEOs used to roam around the building taking every chance to connect with employees. I'd like see that happening here more often so we get to chat with our CEO as well. I have nothing to say negative as I feel comfortable and challenged at the same time.

Advice to Management

People make it happen, therefore always to remember to invest in the people who work for you, and I see that Hertz is doing this already. I hope to see more leadership engagement with employees where anyone can freely voice their opinions and make a substantial impact on Hertz’s future.

"Bittersweet......!"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

If you play your cards right, have a "can do" attitude, are not lazy or a complainer, Hertz (Local Edition) can provide as valuable training for the Business world as a college degree, and in some cases, even more. For the right person (I,E fast burner) Hertz provides all of the needed elements to learn business, adjust for success, and get promoted. I attribute a lot of my success later on in my life, to some of the building blocks I attained while at Hertz.

Cons

Unfortunately, the negative aspects often outweigh the positive. Training is minimal at best. The pay when I was there, was not so hot (although comparable to the industry). When I was promoted to Branch Manager, my pay dropped significantly. The hours (especially when compared to pay) were ridiculous, you were always understaffed (which could also be viewed as a positive when it comes to training for the real world) and more importantly, there was a huge, and I mean HUGE disconnect from Senior Company Execs and the troops on the front lines. The expectations and creative ideas they would come up with were not attainable or realistic.

This sounds crazy, however they simply would not give you enough cars to reach your profit/revenue expectations. I managed a store that was on a winning streak, sales were booming, and yet I could never get more cars to increase my sales. We all complained to deaf ears about this. Ultimately, to achieve our sales expectations, we would have to "steal" surplus cars sitting at the Airport yard (HQ) and secretly rent them at the local branch, chiefly due to the Airport wanting to sit on the cars rather than freely give them to the city branches. How dumb is that, having to steal from your own company in order to hit their sales goals? This is one example of how "out of touch" the Corp. Offices were with what was happening on the front lines.

Although they try and brainwash you with their propaganda, you are basically a car washing insurance salesmen in a tie. When you do meet their goals for selling insurance, they punish you if one of those customers actually have an accident, by charging your branch for the damages resulting from said accident.

Advancement is very achievable at the lower ranks for the right individual, however after Branch Manager, promotions are essentially dead in the water.

Advice to Management

1). If you expect your people to succeed, provided them with the tools needed to achieve success (I.e Cars and people). I know you hear this all the time, however you simply don't do it.

2.) Senior Corp. Execs (Regional Mgrs. and above) need to spend more time in the branches, 1 on 1 time with Branch Managers, not just a Quarterly walk through and a quick lunch. The Branch Managers are their most important allies, as they can offer true perspective of what's going on in the day to day battle for business. This perspective just doesn't happen at levels above the actual branch. These are the people putting you on the map, making it happen, don't ignore such a valuable asset.

I stated in the beginning of this review that Hertz can provide really valuable training for the business world, however once your people have this training,they leave (usually because there is nowhere else for them to go). Why lose them to the Business world? Why not find places within the company to utilize the training you just gave them? This is a serious issue which would save Hertz money and drive them to higher levels of success by just retaining the good people they have. Unfortunately, this just doesn't happen.