Hess Corporation - Hess is a great company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hess Corporation

"Hess is a great company"

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hess Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, still has pension plan, 9/80, good work/life balance, lunch dining hall

Cons

salary not competitive with industry, outsourcing of accounting/finance functions

Advice to Management

insource back accounting/finance functions

Other Employee Reviews for Hess Corporation

"Keep all your options open..."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Hess Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was excellent, cafeteria was nice, building was great, location fantastic.

Cons

IF you are offered a choice between getting sent to a North Korean Labor Camp, and working at Hess, think long and hard about your choice. I'm not saying you NECESSAIRLY want to go with Labor Camp route... I'm just saying you may want to keep all your options open.

The atmosphere at Hess was undoubtedly the most toxic and fearful I have ever experienced. The upper management seems to have learned their management style from Josef Stalin. Step out of line, even inadvertently, and you get fired, immediately. You come in each morning and see someone's cubicle is now empty, and you don't talk about it. People were constantly being fired without any discernible reason, and with no investigation or chance to explain or defend themselves. The management would talk a good game to us, then tell us "If you don't like it, badge out."

One time we were told "We fired a guy for using the side entrance to the building today. Since you are contractors, the computer tracks the time you badge in and badge out, and matches it against the hours you bill for. If they don't match you're automatically fired. There isn't a badge reader on the side entrance, so when this guy used the side entrance, his times in the computer didn't match his bill, and we fired him. " That was it. This was the first warning we ever got about not using the side door. No advisory to the guy about "This was a problem, don't do it again." No chance for the guy to appeal or explain. They just fired him.

That's pretty much how Hess was run while I was there. Co-workers just vanish. It's kind of like those war movies when all the fighter pilots are in the bar, and someone says "Where's Terry?" and someone else says "Terry didn't make it." When I was let go, I found out by email. No warning. No reason. Never did find out why.

Hess has lots of contractors, because the employees are all so busy having meetings and fighting each other in inter-office politics that if they didn't hire contractors, no work would ever get done. That being said they are pretty unclear on the difference between a contractor and an employee. They tell the contractors what hours to work, what they can and can not wear, all those little details the IRS says makes you an employee and not a contractor.

As for the employees, there is constant maneuvering and infighting. Managers are to busy building little "fiefdoms", and there is a general policy non-cooperation between employees and departments that are viewed as a threat. We had one department that refused to return our phone calls or emails or support us in any way because they were afraid our team was making them "look bad", and that if they looked bad they would be fired. Our boss had us start listing every time they didn't respond to emails, or refused to support us, so he would have "ammunition" to use against them at the next meeting.

Managers will call you "buddy" and pat you on the back one day, then fire you the next. With all the backstabbing and plotting and duplicity it is kind of like being on a pirate crew... only without any gold... or rum... or those cute little umbrellas they put in rum drinks either....

Because of this, little, if anything, ever gets done during the work day. The employees say "Hess stands for Holidays, Evenings, Saturday and Sunday" because they are so busy doing corporate infighting during the week that those are the only time they have available to do their actual work. I heard stories about managers doing routine paperwork late at night Christmas Eve because the law required it be done by the end of the year, and that was the only time they had to get it done.

So, as I said, don't be too quick to rule out the Labor Camp option... at least there you have job security and you know who your enemy is.

Advice to Management

Hess has a reputation for being about as much fun as a P.O.W. camp, and this impacts recruiting. Because of this someone put together an "employee morale" package sometime in the past, and they did a great job of it. Hess has all the perks that the MBA text books say make worker drones happy. Great cafeteria. Excellent building. Nap room. Nursing mothers room. Company store. Nice art on the walls. Starbucks on the property. Benefits, (if you aren't a contractor) etc.

However, Hess has overlooked that whole "not treating your people like fungible worker drones and actually treating them like human beings who deserve respect" thing. Because of this, things still pretty much suck. I know it's old school, but it works.

2. "I had a very enjoyable experience working at Hess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hess Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hess has excellent pay, benefits and a fairly laid-back culture for a large corporation.

Cons

Company is going through a very major reorganization.

Advice to Management

Just because an internal support service doesn't directly add to the bottom line doesn't mean it has to be outsourced.