Hewlett-Packard - HP Burns the Decking | Glassdoor

"HP Burns the Decking"

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Research Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great people to work with. Successful company.

Cons

Lack of infrastructure. Can't talk to anyone about employment questions - all e-forms and on-line submission. No local support, IT etc

Advice to Management

Don't just cost shift. That is not saving HP anything if employees are forced to spend more of their time doing their own IT, purchasing, etc. - this is more than just lost productivity since other people are more efficient at these jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Don't even touch this company with a 10-ft pole. Bad place especially for college grads."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

One thing I really like is the ability to work-from-home at my own discretion.

Cons

I have a lot to say here, especially because I feel like the company deceived me into thinking it was a great place to work and that the "HP Way" was a mantra it followed. This is my first job out of school and I regret making the decision to work here. What I have noticed is that management views its employees no differently than it would raw materials or equipment - as commodities. In fact, the company refers to their employees as "head-count". I was really shocked - we are not "head-count"..we are people. We have dreams, aspirations, families, and each of us are unique in the talent we bring to the table.

A major cause for this sentiment is that management chases short-term financial performance at the expense of its employees - cutting benefits, not giving raises indexed to at least inflation, not recognizing hard work, and yes, laying off the very people who helped build the company from the ground-up. Additionally, there is not much training or guidance for new employees - they are hired and then dropped in with the sharks.

Advice to Management

The "HP Way" originally attracted me to this company - bring it back or you are going to lose your best people. And believe it or not, we are not some raw material- how do you think you make all those profits or make good business decisions? It's your people! Your over-emphasis on short-term performance will eventually catch up with you - you can't cut costs forever because that is not sustainable.

Also, stop the fire-drills (this is what insiders refer to as very last minute assignments). The fact that HP runs in fire-drill mode shows a lack of organization on your part. It also puts a lot of stress on your people. It's one thing to sometimes need last-minute stuff, but for that to be the standard operating protocol is just awful.

2. "great place to work if you like egalitarian culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

people are great, opportunities are diverse, culture is egalitarian (though this may be decreasing)

Cons

tough to get things done in a very large company. few fringe benefits (no blackberry, etc.)

Advice to Management

keep it up