Hewlett-Packard - waste of time | Glassdoor

"waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

strong brand, powerful account relationships

Cons

confused; lack of strategic direction; operates in silos

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Fun when it was Compaq"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Houston, TX

Pros

Benifits were OK untill you find out there are other companies who give out better ones.

Cons

Dishonest management. When layoffs come, they try to find a way not to pay the package. And they to look deep into your profile.

Advice to Management

GO back to the way Compaq ran it.

"Good enough so far!"

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX

Pros

This has been a great first job so far. Competitive salary, signing bonus, and relocation package (especially when considering the low cost of living in the area). There is plenty of interesting work going on here, and I work with some very smart engineers who are always willing to help me improve my skills. I never feel like I have my manager looking over my shoulder...I am free to spend my time at work (and outside of work) as I please, as long as I'm getting my work done. I can't imagine a software engineering job that provides a better work/life balance...definitely better than it was in school.

Cons

Morale, mostly. There are a lot of people here who are still feeling burned by upper management from the Hurd era. Leo was slightly better, but the sale/spin-off of PSG and the Touchpad issues made us all look sort of silly. Young employees (anywhere from 3-5 years older than me) are looking for employment elsewhere, for understandable reasons. They have seen few bonuses and even fewer raises during their time here. This past year has been different, but the changes came too late for them. Just about every young employee I know got a bonus or a raise AND a bonus, but many took a new job that started in January 2012...the train had already left the station.

Some project timelines are a bit unrealistic, and some of the older employees are being overworked because of it...but I can only speak well to my own personal experience. Your experience is very dependent on how good of a manager you have. Some are obviously better than others. Also, upper management in the Leo era was hilariously bad at communicating big, important changes to the rest of us. Things have gotten a bit better under Meg, but there hasn't been anything quite as earth-shattering as the potential PSG sale/spin-off either.

Advice to Management

Hopefully management recognizes that they need to continue rewarding people for their hard work. Keep work expectations realistic. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS, but if you must, please give the rest of us a heads up.