Hewlett-Packard - Look up the definition of ASININE. 1 rating is too much. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Look up the definition of ASININE. 1 rating is too much."

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great message. Gives you some thought how the industry is heading towards. Demos are fun to conduct. Usually, my systems consultant conducts the demo at my last job. I had always avoided demos like the plague, but, autonomy makes it easy to demo. Its only 15mins max, real time data, and the eye brows lift when all is said and done. Again, the message is very strong and easily defendable.

Cons

however, the message is very dangerous. Because your corporate message is around "Meaning," and IDOL, it makes them believe 20,000 customers are using a Meaning Based Technology, and they are not. 99% of the customers using Autonomy are basic Content Mgmt, Web Mgmt, basic eDiscovery, basic archiving, and backup/recovery solutions. Nothing more. The projects that are sold as a Meaning Based Technology usually go completely bad. My large deals started to hear negative messages and then in turn, gone completely silent.

That being said, there are some MAJOR integration issues with IDOL. Since IDOL is sold as a connection based solutions that sorta agnostic with other platforms, the RED FLAG pops up when we can not integrated into acquired Autonomy technologies. Even though, we are mandated to talk about IDOL first and then, the solution, 99% of the sales reps paint themselves into a corner, because, when its time to "open up the hood," and talk shop, the integration is not there. Good example is their backup/recovery platform. As a result, their message around Meaning Base Archiving and Meaning Based Backup/Recovery is redundant at best.

As a result, reps are constantly fighting around messaging and opportunities. At Autonomy, there are three pillars they go to market. It doesn't make any sense what so ever (Power, Protect, Promote). All solutions around managing unstructured data. On top of that reps do not have territory and any one rep can sell another pillar. To make things even more confusing, the CRM system does not allow transparency to understand if a customer has some sort of installation, customer is happy or not, current rep has an opportunity in progress, opportunity to leverage another opportunity, or/and we lost an opportunity to a competitor or bad POC. All of which promotes, spinning wheels constantly, major infighting, lack of trust if somebody will steel your deals or not, embarrassment from the customer (we are installed, or/and we threw you out), most importantly, can not plan how to go to market and achieve your numbers.

On top of this elementary and immature business model, you are naturally stressed to force through uncontrollable and bewildering corporate waters to make sense of your daily sales activities. In other words, you need to have five meetings per week, accompanied with five demos, and one proposal a week. Seems easy, yes at first, the vehicle to "assist" you is asinine. The dreaded SMS is a sales tool to forecast, submit meeting notes, indicate demos been completed, and opportunity activities. This will bog your day and frustration will build because of this tool. Now, its not because of the tool itself, its management and some random unnamed management on the SMS calls every week questioning the number of meetings, proposals submitted, and constant questions how it works. SMS is a full time job in itself.

You can have a solid pipeline with deals moving forward with management oversight and if your sms has not been updated because you are staying up late working three large deals, you will get threaten about your job security. Reason being, management gets paid on SMS metics. You can be at 105% on your meetings, submitted 6 out of the 10 proposals (60%) in SMS, and have a not so pleasant call with management.

Proposals. Interesting metric. These are proposals that are mandatory and NEVER used. Its only done to fulfill a metric. It consist a 12 page marketing brief about how we understand the customer's problem, the customer itself, solution reiterated, and the proposed price. Seems like a good idea, but, we need to submit one every customer we talked to before going deep into their real challenges. Its a blind proposal most of the time. BACKWARDS! Furthermore, when submitted through SMS, if it does go through, it routes to Autonomy's marketing team. They will continually try to be relevant by editing the document and adding more steps than necessary, even though, its the same document, message, and customer with a few tweaks.

Another Con is management. Its amazing they can sleep at night. I had heard two reps gotten fired over SMS calls. Just a recap, SMS calls are weekly forecast calls that the whole team is on listening. One particular rep lost a deal because IDOL can not or have any plans to integrate into Connected. Because the rep lost the deal because he had told the customer the honest facts, he was let go over the phone. Great guy and very capable.

Advice to Management

If I am speaking to management, I would say this.... Align yourself with an HP Team and management to gain protection. The management tactics in place today is very sad, knowing that Autonomy could have been much much much more influential in the market place. The patience model is needed to have the right tools in place for the sales team. I would have to say 99.99999% of the sales force was delighted when HP came onboard. Why? Management changes and sales operation changes and territory changes. Sad...

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"It's not what you know..."

Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Plano, TX

Pros

HP offers a solid collaborative environment, casual dress code, and work-from-home or wherever is most convenient policy. There are good opportunities for advancement IF you have good connections in the company. Marketing yourself in this giant company requires all the top skills you need when competing in the World Wide Web.

Cons

There are some good managers and then some really awful managers. I have had both. Do your homework before you accept a position and find out what others who work for or have previously worked for the manager think of him or her. You have opportunities to educate yourself in your position but that training is completely up to you to develop, advocate and execute. If you are in a position remotely associated with sales, expect that there will be periods when you have no life outside of work. The best you can hope for is to have a manager and co-workers who understand the need for give-and-take and are lenient about time off when personal needs outweigh career needs.

Advice to Management

Become crisp in your own thought about what HP should be when it grows up. Are we a hardware/software vendor, a technology outsourcer or a professional consulting services business? Whatever we are, decide and then communicate clearly to employees, the market and influencers. We are at an inflection point in IT history. HP has one chance to get this right.

"The years after the EDS merger were torture"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

HP is a good logo in the marketplace for your resume when you're looking for another job. It is well-respected and the story goes far.

Cons

HP absolutely bungled the merger with EDS. Those who came over to HP from the former EDS were treated like a sub-class of people. The misunderstanding of EDS' business model was atrocious.