Hewlett-Packard - Has-been | Glassdoor

"Has-been"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global scale, breadth of portfolio and brand

Cons

Senior leadership, employee empowerment and innovation

Advice to Management

Empower employees more

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "HP - An American Corporation"

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Cons III in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Cons III in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HP has flexible work arrangements - Some departments allow employees to work at home. This was a plus as it's difficult to work 12- 14 hour days in the office.

The casual work environment is a plus.

Cons

HP's Global Learning Division seemed to always be behind on adapting new trends such as mobile learning. There was little flexibility for implementing new ideas quickly.

The various divisions of HP do not seem to be aware of each other; and there didn't seem to be much cross-collaboration.

The sales and/or upper management of the Learning Division seemed to sign impossible contracts with daunting and sometimes impossible deadlines. We would work 12 to 15 hour days to meet deadlines; and sometimes, even with those hours, we could not meet the deadlines. Morale was low. People were burned out.

Negotiate your salary up-front, as salaries do not increase; and sometimes, are decreased.

It seemed that upper managers were not aware of what was going on down the chain. There is some kind of disconnect, but we were not privy to mid and upper managements' decision making process, contract signing process, and schedule setting process.

Training was available for certain skills. But for the Learning Organization, there was little training. I had been paying for self-training for years just to attempt to keep up-to-date.

It seems that HP will only focus on it's roots as a hardware company; it does not seem to know what to do with services and consulting; and from some recently corporate actions, it seems they have decided to shed such services as the expense of keeping good relationships and good faith with external customers. But, that is the nature of a corporate player: stock-holder focus rather stake-holder focus.

Let us hope that some companies begin a new shift, toward focusing on stake-holders, if it's not too late to save the U.S. core technical and professional work-force.

Advice to Management

Get in touch. Focus on stakeholders, not stock-holders. A short-term view is myopic in my personal macro-economic view.

2. "Best Employer I Ever Had The Privlidge to Work For."

Current Employee - Database Developer in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee / Family well being is first and foremost with management at HPES. They really care about their employees. The company has very competitive salaries as well as a really nice benefits package. The company has a generous holiday and PTO schedule. I would highly recommend HPES to any of my friends or colleagues.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!