Hewlett-Packard - Overall a good company to work for but changeable/inflexible policies may prove deleterious to both HP and individuals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Overall a good company to work for but changeable/inflexible policies may prove deleterious to both HP and individuals"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Good culture with opportunity for corp[orate and personal advancement. Competitive salary and benefits. Good working conditions and work-life balance.

Cons

Poor resource allocation and poor inter-team collaboration with consequent conflicts of interest and sub-optimal client engagements. In my instance I received very poor support from my direct linbe manager when a workforce reduction program was implemented globally and I was chosen to be made redundant when there were other reps within his team who were less well performing than I was.

Advice to Management

Be aware that your people are your best assett and that performant people need to be supported and maintained.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Need to rebuild this business to former glory"

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

HP has a great benefits package and good "work at home" policies.
    It also has good research capabilities

Cons

No senior management direction and no real applications development capabilities.

Advice to Management

Define the markets
    Define the products that meet the market needs
    VBuild Client relationships - get out of the office
    Manage in detail - stop sending stone tablets from the mountain with Ten Commandments

2. "Lack of proper tools"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Espoo (Finland)
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Espoo (Finland)

Pros

You get to work with many different technologies of your own expertise area.

Cons

Saving up on insignificant things like having low-end phones, having a slow internet connection at home and at work. Not having an electronical dictionary in use at office, not having proper software tools etc. I don't believe the cost savings are much on things like these but it will make personnel feel less satisfied at work. And it does feel stupid to say to customer that we can't patch a system today as the download of a patch wouldn't finish during a work day. In reality I have to download patches and installation packages at home because my own home line is 10-50 times faster than the company line..

Processes are also in general non-existent or badly put together. Roles and responsibilities are often very unclear.

Advice to Management

Give us proper tools for our work. Build up processes.