Hewlett-Packard - Should never have taken the job offered to me here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Should never have taken the job offered to me here"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They hire college grads with potential
- Great people in the office. Really feel like you're in the trenches together.
- Smart people: you will learn a lot
- Great office with a great view.
- Fantastic initial compensation and benefits package
- If you get in with the right group, you're set for life (see con #1)

Cons

- If you don't get in with the main clique or if you anger/annoy any of them, you experience all of the following cons
- No career growth or development. You just get shuffled around with no direction to where they need people (usually the less glamorous teams)
- No positives on the horizon. One of the reasons I had left is that no one around me had seen raises, promotions, or bonuses of any kind for 5+ years.
- Culture is very negative. Very much a thought of "let's just suck it up and do this so we don't get yelled at" instead of "let's do this because it's good business"
- Non IDOL software is extremely buggy and bugs go unfixed for months unless support hammers into development.
- Accountability almost always comes back to support. An issue taken up with management goes to support. Issues in development come from customers to support, back to development, who tries to say that the customer is wrong even if support has verified the issue. Sales reps, on-site consultants, and more- all issues just keep coming back to support.
- Huge turnover. A lot of senior guys who hadn't seen any positives in years left, making it harder to learn or master the products. With only college grads coming in, it's hard to keep experts around.

All that said, it's possible this is all changing due to HP's takeover and executive level changes. So take this with a grain of salt. Make sure this is a job you really want to do before taking the offer or it will hurt your future career.

Advice to Management

I'm aware that the transition to HP is changing things slowly so it may be getting better. But to any still there from Autonomy- good managers reward success, reprimand failure, and shield their team from flak from above. They don't pass the blame and cover their own hide.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Customer Project/Program Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Project/Program Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at home and travel 20% of the time. I've never met my boss, although she is very friendly and fair. Love working from home - no commute, dry cleaning or office politics to deal with.

Cons

On a grander scale, I would love to see senior leadership get there act together and steer HP towards its core values.

2. "Excel and surpass expectations and there are many opportunities to advance"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant III in Clarksville, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant III in Clarksville, VA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities exist. Performance is recognized if not always properly compensated. Exposure to a broad range of advanced and bleeding edge technology. Work with the smartest and best technologists every day. Training is regularly made available on many platforms.

Cons

As usual with Mega organizations financial desicions will regularly trump technical choices that should be made. Initial salary offers tend to be high but increases can be tough to come by after coming on board.

Advice to Management

Try harder to operate like an efficient small business. Work to enable line managers to more quickly release under performers and back fill those positions quickly. Streamlining the hiring process would result in fewer candidates taking other offers prior to the hiring manager being approved to extend an offer. Finally, I would advise a new compensation model based more on job code so that overacheivers who advance through the ranks quickly are compensated properly for the roles they assume. This will lead to increased motivation within the ranks to outperform.