Hewlett-Packard - Good overall | Glassdoor

"Good overall"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not had tons of turnover in my immediate leadership. Have given me a lot of latitude in how i do my job.

Cons

Corporate leadership is disconnected from employees. Solution to every problem is headcount reduction.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Long time employee - company run by clueless executives who have no idea how to set strategy and implement"

Current Employee - Strategy and Planning Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy and Planning Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Home office, but this perk is a mixed blessing. HP now has home office employees paying for their own Internet, phone service, printer ink (and we make the #*@!). What a cheapskate company.

Cons

I've been with the company for over 15 years...10 years too long. Have had 4 different jobs, and managers,in less than 4 years. There is constant emphasis on being 'innovative, creative, change processes, etc' but when a new approach is suggested the answer is that the team/dept/org metrics will be negatively affected, therefore, new approaches/change in process can't be accomodated. I've also never seen an org that LOVES producing pounds of PowerPoints. If there was a market for PP production, HP would be near the top. Too many manhours are spent generating pretty PP slides and then more hours spent changing them when an exec decides he/she doesn't like the info in the slides.
    CEO-Meg seems to be having a fun time and is always so perky on employee webinars. Guess when you're making $$$ and asking your employees to not have a pay increase, you can afford to be perky.
    The Voice of the Workforce (internal, employee survey) is a joke. The results, year after year, are almost the same responses but very little is ever changed. Should stop the survey as any survey that doesn't affect change is meaningless.

Advice to Management

Set a direction, simplify business planning, plan of action creation/tracking. Stop the PP insanity. Encourage PP pres of 15 slides or less - if a message can't be created in this number of PP slides then the person needs to go back to their office and learn to be sycinct.

2. "Individual employee not valued at HP"

Former Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Could work independently, flexibility in job - work from home options, etc

Cons

Not willing to train for new opportunities, Little chance for promotion. Little or no salary increase

Advice to Management

Show care for the employee, instead of treating as just a commodity