Hewlett-Packard - Excellent company | Glassdoor

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed a 26 year career at HP where I've been able to work in multiple industries and grow my career from a technical software programmer through technical support to marketing and business development. HP has supported my career growth by providing not only educational support and training, but opportunities to work in new career areas, with emerging technologies and with excellent mentors. The people are some of the brightest, hardest working people you could have the privilege of working with. I have been fortunate to learn and grow from some of the best people in the world.

Cons

HP has been struggling of late to lay a solid strategy and a consistent set of priorities so that resources are focused and aligned toward a clear set of goals.

Advice to Management

Lay the strategy and develop a consistent set of priorities; align your resources so they can focus and empower and enable your employees to execute (that includes management support, budget, resources).

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "relaxed environment, a lot of politics"

Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer V in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer V in Nashua, NH

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

big corporate atmosphere. flexiable working schedule and hours. learning opportunities

Cons

there was a lot of politics

"After working there for 25 years all of a sudden I get a bad review"

Former Employee - Operational Account Manager Advisor II in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Operational Account Manager Advisor II in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company with good benefits but as soon as Carly became CEO it went downhill.

Cons

It became very competitive. They only wanted to keep the best employees which created an environment of hostility and back stabbing. And every year they would take something away from my benefits package. For example, it used to be that you would get 2 weeks severance pay for every year you worked there. Then they made it 1 week for each year. People are exiting out of there in droves because it is a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

All I can say is good luck in retaining top notch employees in an environment that is cut throat and where you are taking away benefits. There are much better companies out there to work for so why would the high perfoming stay there?