Hewlett-Packard - Great place to start a career. Small Teams - Big Tech. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Great place to start a career. Small Teams - Big Tech."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent middle management. I worked in a small team, with a very bright manager who possessed an excellent confluence of traits. He was friendly, patient, and a great teacher - always available if I had a question or got stuck on something. Furthermore, he started me off with excellent assignments that got me diving into the code base and getting things done right away. In the long term, there were going to be some bigger architectural redesigns that were going to be a lot of fun to work on.

- Free soda / coffee / tea / etc all the time, and good free food on Fridays.

- Work/life balance was exceptional. No one was in competition to stay the latest. I kept very reasonable hours.

- Business was growing. Lots of opportunity to advance at the company in the long term, and its nice being at a company with plenty of cash flow.

- I only left to go back to graduate school for my PhD. Otherwise, I would have been happy there for the foreseeable future.

Cons

-The office space is a bit old fashioned (lots of cubicles), but at least the views are nice in the breakroom etc.

- Also, its worth pointing out that the company has changed hands several times in the past few years. Many of the bad reviews on this site I don't think are accurate. The environment at autonomy changed significantly in early 2012, after being purchased by HP. I wouldn't give much weight to reviews before early/mid 2012.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "On the right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation
    Pay for performance
    Very good benefits

Cons

Too many management layers increases overhead
    Dysfunctional Board of Directors

Advice to Management

Remove management layers
    Increase scrutiny on acquisitions

"Can HP be saved?"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely, as long as you can connect to 800 numbers for conference calls and have high speed internet access.
    Salaries are decent. Enables you to work with WW organization.

Cons

Lots of churn and chaos with frequent reorganizations. Big organizations like HP are not agile; tools & resources are often outdated or adequate; plenty of red tape and bureaucracy. Low morale among employees. Fear of speaking out or suggesting alternatives to management does not make for a healthy work environment. Sadly the corporate culture and values HP used to have are long gone and HP is no longer seen as an innovator.

Advice to Management

Reduce the bureacracy. Spend wisely - make sure the budget guidelines apply to all parts of the organization and really fix the internal issues, don't just spend millions slapping lipstick on the pig.