Hewlett-Packard - Too Big for its own good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Too Big for its own good"

Former Employee - Director of World Wide Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented people in the industry work there. They pay well and they give bonuses at year end

Cons

You are always worried about your job-there does not seem to be stability. I had 8 bosses in 3 years..impossible to move up the chain and promotion is very rare.

Advice to Management

Stop changing direction of the organization so frequently. Even if you have a great plan..you do not stay with it long enough to realize it

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"HP is a very broken, lost company."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- High salary bands
    - Good healthcare options
    - Recognized name in industry

Cons

- Inefficient, wasteful, disorganized company with very slow/poor execution
    - Immense, paralyzing bureaucracy
    - Lots of in-fighting between departments, to the detriment of the customer
    - Zero company culture (sea of cubicles with zombie like clock-punchers)
    - Senior management is highly detached from reality. Also difficult to trust.

Advice to Management

Cut 2/3rds of the workforce and drastically streamline the product portfolio. Focus on professional services and continue with enterprise servers and networking, taking a page from IBM's book. Fix your Cloud Computing strategy quickly, it is broken. Get rid of all of the 15+ yr "veterans" who are zombie-like, no longer passionate about their work, and non-productive. FIx your highly bureaucratic, unpleasant work environment. Find ways to appeal to a younger, more vibrate workforce like Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. to attract new talent.

2. "I am thankful to work at Hewlett-Packard, which is a highly visible and globally recognized company."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HP is heavily focused on quality customer deliveries and satisfaction for its quality products and services. They have many professionals that put in hours to intensely perform and are great people to work with. The employees are very supportive of one another throughout the organization.

Cons

HP is going through a season of infrastructure transitioning to better serve the customers and meet the ever changing technical environment. This should increase our growth in the long term. However, due to 2 past CEOs with some unwise decisions, as well as the global economy impacts, HP is moving slowly in its growth.bWith salary reductions in 2009, followed by a slow economy, employee raises are very small, with promotions and career growth with internal job changes almost nil. Bonuses have been reduced or some eliminated.

Advice to Management

Meg Whitman, HP’s current CEO is leading us with clear vision and direction for the future. However, in the infrastructure transition, it would be great to have a position that would better utilize my skills, talents, solutions, and top performance to more strategically benefit the company. I personally have applied to many applicable internal jobs for 1 ½ years, where I meet and exceed the background, experience, and requirements with no success. The internal career development process needs to be improved.