Hewlett-Packard - hp Executive Management doesn't have a clue | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"hp Executive Management doesn't have a clue"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to remain employed during the past four years and beyond. But then, I also have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to prosper and therefore survive the Compaq acquisition of Digital Equipment Corporation in 1998, plus the HP acquisition of Compaq in 2002. I always seek to work with computer hardware and software solutions that have the most promise, carefully avoiding those solutions that are injust a "me-too" category to say we offer it.

Cons

Don't come to HP thinking you will achieve the salary level I have. The new mantra from Human Resources is that you will no longer receive any COLA adjustments to your salary, only the "possibility of an annual bonus, subject to the overall performance of the company". The problem with this is that individually, you have no incentive to perform at a high level as they give everyone the same bonus, or no bonus at all, if they deem revenue and profit inadequate. So, I have adjusted to this by evolving into only an "average" employee.

Advice to Management

HP Job Requisitions in JobSearcher go unfilled due to the lowball compensation offered. HP Executives continue to receive the Million-Dollar compensation increases for a company with a stock value at $ 15.00 a share. It's a cliche', but "You get what you pay for" at the individual contributor level, so don't expect much of your new hires, as they will have no training or experience for that $ 50,000 annual salary you pay them.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Non-Competitive Wages, Broken Promises, and Old Technology"

Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first position out of college and was much better than I expected. We have the opportunity to work from home when needed. HP is a great place for minorities to get their foot in the door.

Cons

New hires were promised numerous chances at other positions, higher pay, and learning opportunities. Unfortunately, changing roles takes more time because the managers need to use you based on their project needs. Employees work long hours and are not compensated properly when raises come around. Being a salaried employee benefits the company more than it benefits the employees because some work 50-60 hours easily.

Advice to Management

Try making management decisions that will benefit the employees in the long run. The managerial turnover is stressful to workers and causes us to lose hope.

2. "Excellent people to work with"

Current Employee - Enterprise Computer Engineer in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Computer Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and excellent products

Cons

Past issues with upper management caused long term damage to the company

Advice to Management

You have the best products. Invest in customer support such that you do not burn out the people who made HP great.