Hewlett-Packard - cheap cheap cheap | Glassdoor

"cheap cheap cheap"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Prattville, AL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Prattville, AL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is on the same page that there is poor quality

Cons

pay is awful poor benefits work to hard for a top notch company with min pay

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"A company with great people and great products"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, family friendly, wide range of opportunities, many opportunities for growth, amazing people. Our products are very cool, our process is very fast, it's amazing what we do on a daily basis. I really LOVE it here and everyone I work with!

Cons

Having a tough time with our rapid CEO cycling and direction changes. New site in Vancouver is rather cramped and difficult at times to really spread out.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box. We need to innovate new disruptive technologies. Printers and PCs have become commodity, smartphones and tablets are the new normal we need to think of new ways to cater to the new market. We need more patience and a longer attention span for developing new goods and services.

"Brags about benefits but the reality can be very different in some ways."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big fancy job titles, sense of prestige working in a high tech co., some nice perks like onsite cafeteria, onsite gym.

Cons

Demanding administrative assistant job with lower than expected salary, glass ceiling for women due to good ol boys network in upper management. Women get hired in upper management but put under super high expectations until the pressure crushes them and they leave. Then a man gets hired in her place making it look like the fulfilled hiring to the quota. I never had work/life balance or telecommuting option. The gym is there but due to high demands people are rarely there during the day using it because they are doing their job, so gym is kind of a joke idea. Fewer job oportunities for women.

Advice to Management

Hire women and minorities without giving them EXTRA responsibilities and stresses above what you'd expect of a man. Pay women and minorities what a typical man would earn. People should understand that when a woman is hired and paid a lower salary than a man someone else out there is probably trying to underpay your wife, sister, mother, nieces, cousins, etc. making it harder for ALL families to earn a decent living. If pay were equitable, there may be fewer women living in abusive situations under the thumb of a boyfriend, or spouse because they cannot afford to leave the abuse. Also, women have less money to retire due to a shorter working history because of child birth, childhood illnesses requiring her to stay home, daycare costs, her menstruation aches and pains/PMS which sometimes causes absenteeism, and elder care responsibilities that are exhausting and usually her responsibility too. In the long run women often underexcel in rank and pay VS their male counterparts because men view women as being "unreliable" because of their absenteeism or focus on the family, when in fact women are fantastic multi-taskers and overachievers!