Hewlett-Packard - Good opportunities, friendly people, not so good upper management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Good opportunities, friendly people, not so good upper management"

Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer VI in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer VI in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge company, so there are many opportunities. Most teams and engineers I've ever worked with are very open and willing to help. Many programs available to boost your career and knowledge.

Cons

Upper management with unreasonable deadlines for product readiness. Very large company, so it's easy to get lost in the crowd. The culture has changed significantly for the worse. Everyone talks about the "good ol' days" when HP was Compaq. I'm lucky that I have a great team and good direct manager. Friends from other teams have had a much worse experience.

Advice to Management

Give us reasonable product deadlines. Compensate us better for all the work we put in to hit these unreasonable deadlines. I don't get the feeling that management cares about the well being of their employees. Stop hiring all these contractors out of the country! HP doesn't sponsor so they eventually quit within a year. Stop firing and hiring...this is counter productive. Do not ever do a contractor furlough again, because this caused many to quit. Again, this is counter productive.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "HP"

Pros

Great people. Great customers. Opportunity to collaborate with fellow employees world-wide.

Cons

Limited opportunities in the SF bay area. (Most jobs are in other locations.)

"Pre Sales Engineer"

Pros

Good base package and bonus

Cons

Stringent policies and huge targets