Hewlett-Packard - Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart & friendly co-workers
- Great line managers
- Great potential for growth
- HP Software believe in treating employees like human beings - such a contrast to the old Autonomy way
- Casual dress code
- Exciting products to work on
- Approachable senior management - any bottom-rung developer can go and chat to the CTO
- Free lunch
- Great opportunities to work with new technology

A year ago Autonomy was an awful place to work. It started changing on the day that Mike Lynch was fired. Let me have a little rant about him.... He had no idea how to run a technology company. He was a salesman, through and through - he even used to say "we're not a software company, we're a company that sells software". He had no idea how to manage people, either. He created a culture of fear, where whoever shouted the loudest (always senior management) got their way.

Shortly after he left, HP moved in. Since then they've forced Autonomy to do things properly. Product plans, roadmaps, not selling things that don't exist, only selling things that we can definitely deliver. Treating employees well. No arbitrary firings, shouting or forced overtime/weekend work. Heck, they're even about to introduce pay bands! Under the old regime pay was completely arbitrary and rarely increased. Under HP pay is linked to your job role, level and performance, with a review at the end of every year.

So, if I hated the old Autonomy so much, why did I stay for so long? I can think of three reasons:
1) The forced overtime cost me my social life. My only friends were my co-workers. That made leaving a really scary prospect.
- Forced overtime doesn't happen anymore, horray!
2) My skills hadn't improved. Autonomy never did anything properly, so I felt that I wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere as I was becoming a cowboy coder.
- Under the new Autonomy, doing things properly has become a priority. My CV is a lot more robust now.
3) It was my first job out of uni. I wasn't alone in that, either - Lynch's hiring policy was "fresh grads only, don't hire anyone with relevant experience". How was I to know that real software companies were better than Autonomy?

Cons

- Some managers haven't adjusted to the HP way yet
- Previous management left the company in a horrible state
- We're doing things now that we should have done five years ago... if only Mike Lynch & co had had a vision beyond "sell software make money" :(

Advice to Management

Don't try to short change us when you adjust salaries to match pay bands. It might cost a lot of money, but you'll buy a lot of loyalty by paying us what we're worth. A company is the sum of it's employees - you can't afford to lose the ones who are holding it all together.

Apart from that, keep driving us hard. We're really loving actually having a vision and strategy for once!

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Ok place to work but ...."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work and life balance
    Casual dress code

Cons

Poor communications across teams
    Right hand does not know what the left hand is doing
    Not many opportunities to progress in one's chosen career
    Short sighted management style -- only interested in the immediate target, no apparent long term vision

Advice to Management

HP as a company has the resources to be great. However does not seem to be interested in doing so. The company is just interested in meeting the immediate stock market expectation and thats it.

2. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Well defined process. You just need to follow the process

Cons

very minimal hike. Training opportunities are limited to the departments.