Hewlett-Packard - Great Company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, good pay, ,good co-workers, good benefits, good work life balance.

Cons

CEO salaries too high and too much turnover

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Poor work culture, atmosphere"

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Benefits typical of a large corporation. I asked to be put at the top of the WFR list and managed to get out with a bag of cash.

Cons

Toxic. Forced ratings kill integrity and competence of work groups. Clueless good-old-boy management, pointless processes, embarrassingly poor and duplicative tools. No office supplies. The physical environment provided had all the charm and modernity of a gulag. Heard from several former co-workers that management has reneged on promises to them. They figure the employees have nowhere else to go in this economy, and if they do, they don't fit HP's preferred management style. Only consider if you have no other options.

Advice to Management

At least Meg hasn't shot off any major appendages (yet). But stand by to pull the cords on your golden parachutes; this bird is on fire, and it isn't a phoenix.

2. "Poorly managed company, hostile to women and minorities"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok but nothing special. I did not have to work 14 hours a day like my previous employer.

Cons

This company is poorly managed at the top,middle and much of lower management. My hardware division was almost exclusively white males with almost no women or African americans in sales.
    As a woman I felt hostility. The division I was in was run by poor executives. There was no comraderie among peers in sales. Everyone was ruthlessly out for themselves.
    So many people I met including my boss had only been there a year or two and really did not know how things worked in the company. People were not helpful when coming on board and if you asked questions people were annoyed or seemed incredulous when you did not know how things worked there. The onboarding was terrible - full of old outdated material and was at a 100,000 foot level. It did not tell you about operational processes and details that would have helped you actually do your job, There was no product training program - you were just thrown in the fire. Being a woman, I would be in division meetings were there were 50-100 white males and no women except myself. NONE of the field sales managers were women or minorities in my US division. The men were hostile - from the newbie sales rep to the sales director to the division VP. I could not believe this was the environment in 2013. My previous employer had women and minorities in all levels of line and management. Women were treated as equals. If I had known HP was like this I would never have accepted a job there. They need a government diversity audit in all divisions.

Advice to Management

Figure out what company you want to be. Create a true long term strategy for success like IBM did and then implement it. Quit having the strategy du jour. Change the culture of a toxic board. Promote from within and don't hire outside managers who are not competent. Since your company is run buy a women, don't use her a window dressing. Put real diversity programs in place and then t develop a culture that really mentors and promotes women and minorities at all career levels. Your competitors like IBM do this superbly and really walk the walk.