Hewlett-Packard - Great People, questionable upper management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Great People, questionable upper management"

Former Employee - Cloud and Automation
Former Employee - Cloud and Automation

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, good pay, great people

Cons

Constant change, layoffs, more questions than answers

Advice to Management

Hire competant upper management, appreciate the guys in the field more, and quit changing the model year after year just to balance the books on bad decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Pay your loyal legacy employees"

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong product portfolio. Lots of growth opportunity. Excellent pay for employees new to the company.

Cons

Low pay for legacy employees.

Advice to Management

Adjust salary of legacy employees. It's a demotivator for a subject matter expert required to train new company employees who make 30% more than the expert.

2. "Template for corporate greed"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Life long friendships developed. Have seen some of the best talent come, and then go.

Cons

The job itself has been up and down over the many years.

As far as the company, it was great when we were Digital, not too bad when we were Compaq, and HP has utterly destroyed services. Completely clueless how to run it. Someone on here actually complained about the old "DECees". Tell you what, we were the most PROFITABLE services company in the world, margin wise, and it has been a slow painful death by HP since.

Had hopes when they bought EDS and pretty much let them run it, or so it appears. If they aren't still ultimately getting their strings pulled by the same HP idiots, then they suck just as bad as HP, and no wonder they got bought.

Complain all you want, it's like complaining about the government, literally feels that way. Direct managers can do nothing but empathize with you. Middle managers are nothing but blow hards spewing the same rhetoric over and over and over. They rotate through at such an insane clip you would think eventually someone with a clue would end up in charge...NOPE...same guy, different pair of jeans (jeans cause they 'can relate to you').

There's tons more...'best shoring', training, advancements, It's ALL ABOUT THE STOCK PRICE BROTHER, etc, etc, but...it's the government man..what are you gonna do?

Those ups and downs I mentioned?...my boat sprung a leak and is sinking now. Thing is, I finally have a first class cabin...I'm just gonna sit tight, hit the buffet, and watcher go down. CHEERS!

Advice to Management

Spin off services, I don't care what you do with PCs, and GO BACK TO MAKING PRINTERS AND CALCULATORS.