Hewlett-Packard - Fine, if you like working for a huge corporation | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Fine, if you like working for a huge corporation"

Former Contractor - Engineer in Andover, MA
Former Contractor - Engineer in Andover, MA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Well recognized name and impressive history. Casual work environment a big plus. No start up work life balance issues.

Cons

Not much opportunity to make a big difference or for professional advancement. Frustrating to see so much momentum moving the wrong way.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Getting better with Meg Whitman at the helm"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do, you can move around, lots of courses to take advantage of. Work Life balance is possible. Good accountability. Most managers are easy to work for.

Cons

Pay is average, layoffs are still coming for next 18 months

Advice to Management

Innovation is key, in all areas of the business. The cloud can crush us if we don't get ahead of it.

2. "Size provides lots of opportunity, but its organizational complexity, processes, and systems are very frustrating"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to change roles every couple of years to experience and learn a breadth of businesses. Flexibility to work from anywhere. Most people are great to work with. Finance can get exposure and interaction with high level management very early in your career.

Cons

The finance systems and processes are much too difficult. We spend way too much time getting the numbers and making sure they are right and they "tie" between the numerous reports. Even directors, managers, and high level analysts are spending unnecessary time doing this. There is too much time wasted on internal debates that finance gets stuck in between and even need to facilitate, and that ultimately do not impact HP's overall earnings.

Advice to Management

Every manager likes to gloss over the issue of compensation, but it is so poorly executed. I was ranked the top "K" when I was there, but never got out of payband 1. Some years my bonus partially compensated, but other years not at all. It is very hard to understand how hard it can be to align base pay with performance. Seems unfair that top performers have to rely on the variability of bonus because they are in a low payband, while other average performers have a guaranteed base salary.