Hewlett-Packard - Good Luck HP! | Glassdoor

"Good Luck HP!"

Former Employee - Solution Architect
Former Employee - Solution Architect

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

--HP has a legacy of innovation and valuing its employees
--If you are sharp and ambitious, you can gain a tremendous amount of valuable experience across several technologies, industries, and company sizes. HP is involved everywhere.
--In general the sales team is very professional as compared to other vendors
--HP is filled with extremely sharp people and is a great place for networking. The culture encourages knowledge sharing.
--Meg Whitman is saying all the right things and so far seems to be executing well. If she succeeds in restoring the former glory, she will be one of my heroes along side Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.

Cons

Carly Fiorina and Mark Hurd have drove the company into the ground through short-sighted management that saw meeting quarterly numbers as the entirety of their job descriptions. Fiorina is a talented speaker but absolutely clueless about technology and the industry, and too arrogant to listen to anyone else. Hurd cut costs to the bone, then kept cutting. He made no investment for the future.

Bizantine HR rules ensure that it is nearly impossible to get a meaningful raise.

The HR organization is useless. Their only roles seem to be: creating rules that make it nearly impossible to get a pay increase; and preventing lawsuits. Since HR is powerless, your experience depends largely on your management chain. If you have a good manager, it's a great place. If you have a horrible manager, you have no recourse. Luckily most people are good, but I did have an issue with a small group with questionable ethics.

Like many companies in the past decade, I was forced to leave to get paid what I'm worth. At the same time, they were bringing in people from the outside at significantly higher pay.

Advice to Management

--Focus on developing innovated products again that bring higher margins!
--Focus on improving morale! There are still tons of great people at hp that have been battered by ridiculously poor management over the years. Take care of them as things improve.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "I think HP has eroded some of the values that EDS had."

Current Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager V in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager V in Warren, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broad opportunities across industries and clients. When you work at the customer site you are definitely limited to that company and the roles within it.

Cons

You are a vendor always serving a customer and as such subject to the customer's direction.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the central HR management and allow the management that is closest to the employee to evaluate and direct that employees activities. I know the central HR reaches out to them but the reviews are a joke since they are for the most part just reading emails from your real manager.

2. "Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Master Technologist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Master Technologist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You work with great people and get to play with really cool technology, Overall compared to other companies it is a great place to work.

Cons

Original HP culture diluted by acquisitions. HP product discounts are not very good. Lose focus on what the end users really want. Poor acquisitions

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers more and have product marketing get better feedback so things like the HP Touchpad do not happen again. Give us better product discounts so we can be ambassadors of the great technology we produce.