Hewlett-Packard - Best Silicon Valley company that you can stay with your entire career and never run out of new businesses to work in. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Best Silicon Valley company that you can stay with your entire career and never run out of new businesses to work in."

Current Employee - Services Business Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Services Business Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diversification: Hardware, Software, Services, Financing, Direct Sales, Channel Sales, Consumer / Retail Sales, new capacity cloud based models, HP Labs ... all in one company.

Cons

Extreme competition from some of the absolute best individuals in the industry drive you to up your game to remain competitive at all times. Requires a high level of committment to excellence and a very strong work ethic.

Advice to Management

Great effort to identify the new industry trends and to focus investmets in these new areas while continuing to focus on increasing efficiencies in more mature businesses to ensure long term competitiveness.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "HP = hopeless position = unsustainable future"

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some very smart people work there but they have no business sense. They are managing to org charts not to business needs. High cash flow makes them look good but the brand will suffer the same fate as Sony, total irrelevance

Cons

High senior manager turnover means that the CEO does not know what to do. The short term P+L focus to keep the stock price up means that hiring goes up and down. The are not attracting top technical talent. They outsource critical functions that makes their brand weak. The board is not to be trusted. Incredibly bad decisions driven by managers only intent to further their own careers, no real original value creation in technology. When MS sneezes HP gets a cold. You only have to look at the CEO history to see so many missteps that have created this mess.

Advice to Management

Executive alignment is a fallacy. Conflicts and contention are rampant due to contention at all ranks. What Bill and Dave wanted is 100% gone. Take their names off the company. Break it up.

2. "Often too many chefs stirring the broth !"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stability, training budget, comfortable offices, good work/life balance.

Cons

Very stifling organisational environment and can often be difficult to make a significant contribution or impact as a Senior Engineer with the number of PMs and Architects that get invovled in even the smallest and simplest of projects. Too much lateral management - seems to be way more managers than individual contributors e.g. I had three different concurrent managers, only one of whom I have any regular contact with ( and only on a monthly basis at that). Also accepted a role in the job family above my current role and the goalposts have changed three times with regards to the corresponding promotion I was promised, it eventually felt like the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow despite positive feedback in my new role from my line managers.

Advice to Management

If you want to cut costs, cut the unneeded and often duplicated middle management and put an end to the wage freezes of the past few years. Also it should be possible get an uplift in salary following a promotion without having to attract a counter offer following an external job offer from another employer. These are the two key aspects I believe will greatly improve staff moral across the organisation.