Hewlett-Packard - Runs much smoother than EDS did | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Runs much smoother than EDS did"

Current Employee - ITO Svc Delivery Representative IV in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - ITO Svc Delivery Representative IV in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Most things are self-help which allows me to get things done more quickly and efficiently. They have forums and wikis for help which allows for a more collaborative work environment. Benefits are pretty good and they have a system in place for performance review that actually affects how you are compensated.

Cons

Most things are self-help which means if you have trouble using the tools you are probably out-of-luck. It's easy to feel "lost in the crowd" at times.

Advice to Management

I know it is hard but there needs to be better ways to interface with upper management. Maybe management checking a forum or something?

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Shameful Misrepresentation of Benefits and Compensation"

Pros

There is a great opportunity at HP to learn, gain incredible experience, and touch a variety of technologies at HP. Hiring base pay is solid and competes during the recruiting process. This is the end of the pros as they can set you up to go elsewhere when the market is ripe again.

Cons

Benefits package is virtually non-existent, if not outright misleading. There was a 5% pay reduction for base salary. Stock purchase plan was done away with. 401k is now a pay for performance.

There is a disparaging difference between the compensation of leadership along with their benefits package versus the common worker at HP, sub 125k.

Do the math - What the leadership lost in total compenstation (Salary/Stock/Bonus/etc.) does not align with what the lower level employees lost out at. We all lost 15%-20% give or take for total dollars.

This makes me want to research the CEO's and CIO's at competing companies that did take a true pay cut and follow them to where they are working. That's leadership, integrity, and accountability. Too bad there are not more people who hold themselves accountable out there and put their people first...

Advice to Management

Why would I offer advice to management on a website that only my peers would look at? They do not care enough, are out of touch with reality, and do not hold each other accountable for their actions. Shareholder value is all important at HP, not technology or people...

"So much happier since I left"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Vancouver, WA

Pros

I recently quit HP after 17 years and, to be fair, I could not find a job that paid as much. Part of that was my seniority, part of that is the current job market. The hardest part of leaving, though, was not the money, but the people. They are still some of the best and brightest people I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

No opportunities. None. Zero. It is all about cost cutting and expense controls. In that kind of environment, everyone is only worried about maintaining their current position - forget about learning, growing, developing new skills, advancing your career. Toiling at a dead-end job, even a high paying one, became a depressing mental burden and eventually the reason I left.

Advice to Management

Focusing on expense controls, revenue growth and profit margins is definitely a viable way to run a business - look at Walmart. However, most of the people at HP, I believe, will not be satisfied with that over the long-term. If you run the company like Walmart, you will eventually get Walmart employees and that probably won't work well in the high-tech, IT services market.