Hewlett-Packard - Great Potential - horribly managed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

"Great Potential - horribly managed"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer
Former Employee - Software Test Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HP has managed, in spite of themselves, to hire some amazing people. The flexible hours were good and most of the lower level managers I worked with were very good. HPs product line and technologies were fun to work with.

Cons

Upper managers loved to do a re-org about every three months. Your managers constantly changed so you would have to start at ground zero every few months. HP executive management has flailed around with each successive CEO. Lew Platt started the downfall, but Carly kicked it into overdrive. Mark Hurd didn't help and still waiting to see if Meg Whitman will do any better.

HPs considerable talent base is under-utilized and often experiences high turnover rates becase they find better jobs. HP management responds by outsourcing to India, but they don't outsource smartly. In my time there we had to redo all the work they did in India multiple times, resulting in HP paying twice to get the work done when they could have paid once. A lot of their cost cutting measure made no sense at all. They also are not too keen on getting input from their employees on how things could be done better.

One of the more ridiculous things I experienced in my time there was the "Carly Massacre" where thousands of people were cut with no rhyme or reason. I worked alongside engineers who had very impressive records and they were cut while a lot of the deadweight was left.

Advice to Management

The board needs to fire the entire upper level management structure. They need to hire people with real world experience, not CEOs who are being forced from their current positions due to their failure and ineptitude. They also need to think outside of the box and quit looking for CEOs educated at the worthless Ivy League business schools. They should structure each division of the company as it's own separate entitiy to rise or fall on it's own merits.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. "Many growing pains and lack of vision"

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive but you earn every penny

Cons

No advancement or pay increases unless you leave

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the people who really bring in the revenue

"Low pay!!!!"

Current Employee - Information Service Developer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Information Service Developer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HP is quite flexible about allowing one to work from home when needed. Work/life balance is good. 3 weeks vacation offered after a year of employment. Chirstmas shutdow is great if your project permits.

Cons

Pay is way below market. Advancement opportunities were highlighted upon hiring and not the case. May people hired without assigned projects.

Advice to Management

Pay is extremely low for people with technical degrees. Pay increases desperately needed!